Lightroom Presentation - 15 July

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Lightroom Presentation - 15 July

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 30 Jun 2015, 09:03

At the club's meeting on 15 July I will be giving a new presentation, entitled "Lightroom Rules". The idea is that it will be a purely practical demonstration of Lightroom to show how the application can be incorporated into a post capture workflow. If anyone has any specific topics or questions which they would like to see covered, post a response to this thread and I will endeavour to include these in the talk.
Last edited by Peter Boughton on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Re: Lightroom Presentation - 15 July

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 09 Jul 2015, 09:45

This is the forum thread about requests for topics to be included in my Lightroom presentation which I mentioned at last night's club meeting. All I ask is that you do not leave it until the last minute to submit a question when I will not necessarily have time to get something prepared.

As I said last night, I intend to go through a typical post capture workflow using just Lightroom:

• Importing images from a memory card
  • Image management and selection
  • Image processing
  • Output - there are a number of options, but I will be concentrating on the most common which are to an image editor, print and JPEG

There are a number of topics which are not always well understood, so I will specifically cover these:

• The role of the Catalog*
  • Image file location
  • How Lightroom and Photoshop complement each other
  • What happens when a Raw file is processed

The talk will consist entirely of a practical demonstration of Lightroom and I will show how the application has all the functions required to process images to completion. What many people are finding is that unless extensive changes to composition are required, it is often not necessary to use an image editor such as Photoshop and Lightroom does it all.

* American product, American spelling
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Fri 10 Jul 2015, 03:26

If someone could setup their camera to record it, that'd be cool :)
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 10 Jul 2015, 07:42

davidc wrote:If someone could setup their camera to record it, that'd be cool :)

I am flattered that anyone would want to preserve my ramblings for posterity. :P
Regards

Mike Farley
GrahamL

Postby GrahamL » Tue 14 Jul 2015, 17:53

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for running this course, do we need to bring a laptop with a version of Lightroom loaded?

Cheers,

Graham
Rose

Postby Rose » Tue 14 Jul 2015, 18:41

I sincerely hope not... I don't own a laptop ! ;) LOL
I think Mike intends running a live demo presentation
You'll wjyst need a notebook & pen
Rose
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 14 Jul 2015, 18:49

GrahamL wrote:............ do we need to bring a laptop with a version of Lightroom loaded?

Hi Graham

On this occasion I am not planning to hand out Raw files so that people can go through the adjustments with me on their own laptops. It is something which it might be feasible to do on a Members' Evening when it would be possible to limit numbers if there are a number of activities going on. It would make such an exercise easier to manage, especially as I am planning to cover quite a lot of ground within the limited time available.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Wed 15 Jul 2015, 09:07

I've done sessions before where I took in RAW files from attendees and went through the review & process I'd adopt. I took the RAWs in ahead of time and chose ones that let me quickly & easily demo the widest range of processes I wanted to cover.

People seemed to like that because almost all people had one image they could really relate to and it prompted a huge amount of lively & interesting debate (e.g. why not monochrome, why not this crop). Other sessions I've done just used my own RAW files and the engagement was noticeably lower.

This may not be what you want to achieve though, just thought I'd add a couple of pence to maybe make the session more interactive/useful :)
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here

Return to “General”