Members' Evening - 18 February

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Members' Evening - 18 February

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 19 Feb 2015, 09:57

My thanks to Rose Atkinson, Roy King, Paul Heester and Barry Wilcox for their presentations at last night's Members' Evening. We had a diverse range of topics and were treated to a very enjoyable and entertaining meeting from which I am sure that all of us took plenty away.

As this event proved so popular, we propose to hold another one when there is a suitable opportunity as there is much which we can learn from each other. Now is the time to start thinking about which aspects of your photography will be of interest so that when the call comes you will be ready. The talk can be about anything, from showing your favourite images, techniques you use or the story about how you got one particular image. We will aim to have four people presenting for 15 - 20 minutes each and you will be surprised at how quickly the time will go. You will also gain as it will encourage you to think more about the topic and I can say from experience that you will find yourself discovering new facets of your chosen subject.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Rose

Re: Members' Evening - 18 March

Postby Rose » Thu 19 Feb 2015, 11:59

Sorry I was unable to stay longer last night and hear the other two presentations - I enjoyed Roy's selection of images and the stories he told about them.

I never did get around to explaining about the 'running backwards whilst taking photos'... but am happy to tell anyone who asks next time I'm at the club ! ;)
Rose
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 20 Feb 2015, 09:00

Rose wrote:
I never did get around to explaining about the 'running backwards whilst taking photos'...

I assume that it involves the subject walking quickly towards you while you try to maintain a reasonable distance? Not easy!
Regards

Mike Farley
Rose

Postby Rose » Fri 20 Feb 2015, 10:57

Yes... On a sloping lawn, whilst wearing heels ! Admittedly the last part is an additional challenge that wouldn't apply to any photographer... ;) ;) But I will also consider wearing flat shoes for assignments in future !
Rose
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 20 Feb 2015, 13:57

Rose wrote:Yes... On a sloping lawn, whilst wearing heels ! Admittedly the last part is an additional challenge that wouldn't apply to any photographer... ;) ;)

I don't find that it is a problem on weekdays. :P
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Mon 23 Feb 2015, 02:01

Rose wrote:Yes... On a sloping lawn, whilst wearing heels !

Is that how you broke your arm? :)
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Re: Members' Evening - 18 February

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 23 Feb 2015, 07:50

I have just realised that I originally had the wrong month in the title od this thread. Now fixed so that it shows up correctly on the list of titles for the forum, but not the intermediate posts before this one. :oops:
Regards

Mike Farley
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Mon 23 Feb 2015, 18:46

I must echo Mike's view and encourage anyone thinking about a presentation to go ahead and leap in! The time really does go quickly and its always interesting to get members views on their own style of photography.
davidb

Postby davidb » Tue 24 Feb 2015, 06:49

Yes, Mike got it wrong. The date, that is. Otherwise he was spot on.

Rose gave an excellent insight into her unofficial job of government photographer with interesting anecdotes and pictures.

Paul produced some interesting shots from unremarkable, everyday objects and some unusual self-portraits.

Roy, once again (he gave a preview of this presentation when a speaker failed to materialise) showed off with some of his early photography. He wowed members then and he's still wowing them.

Barry demonstrated the use of a scanner to recover pre-digital photographs. All my photographs are digital but I can appreciate his demonstration.

Many thanks to all.
Regards

David A Beard.
Tina

Postby Tina » Tue 24 Feb 2015, 08:31

A big thank you to all four speakers. I enjoyed them all. They were all very interesting and different.
Much appreciated.
Tina

Return to “General”