Portrait Practical Evening 28 November 2012

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Portrait Practical Evening 28 November 2012

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 29 Nov 2012, 10:36

It was a good evening last night and everyone enjoyed taking pictures of our delightful models, Lucy and Tanya, to whom our thanks go for their part in making the event such a success. Thanks also to Nina for sorting out the arrangements, Wally for supplying the lighting kit and Tony Cane for helping to set up beforehand. A lot of work went into preparing the session and I am grateful for everyone's efforts.

A reminder that we have promised Lucy and Tanya some photos from the evening, so could everyone who participated send full size, high quality JPEGs of their best shots to the club's e-mail address croydoncameraclub@gmail.com. I would also like to see people showing us their results in either the Image Critique or Photo Sharing sections of the forum, although I am sure that we will also be seeing some of the shots in forthcoming competitions.

This was the first time that we have held such a session, so everyone was learning the best way to set about it. We have another practical session planned for 13 April 2013, so it is worth sharing our experiences here so that next time is even better. Your feedback on this thread will be appreciated.

Most people turned up with cameras which either had a flash sync socket or a hot shoe into which an adapter could be fitted. Unfortunately there was one Minolta camera which had a non standard hot shoe and no flash sync socket, which meant that it could not be hooked up to the studio flash. When Sony took over Minolta a few years ago, they perpetuated the proprietary hot shoe design which continues in their digital cameras, but fortunately it is possible to get adapters. This is one example, but no doubt Google will help you find others.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/interfit/standard-hotshoe-adapter-for-sony-alpha-76370/show.html

Although the flash units can be fired as slaves and can be triggered by on camera flashes, they only synchronise with themselves, which rules out this as an alternative option.

In the second part of the evening there was a problem with one of the flash sync cables which, judging by the amount of blue tack and tape holding it together, is a delicate component. Wally is looking into whether it can be replaced for next time.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Nina

Re: Portrait Practical Evening 28 November 2012

Postby Nina » Thu 29 Nov 2012, 11:50

Thank you for your help too Mike!

I have enjoyed the evening and so have by all accounts our models too. :)
Regards

Nina

Check out my latest work
On www.pbase.com/ninaludwig
Rose

Postby Rose » Thu 29 Nov 2012, 12:34

My thanks to everyone who contributed to last night's meeting :D I really enjoyed it and it was great to see everyone so engaged, there was a real buzz in the room. For next time (and yes, I'd like to see lots more practical sessions !) I wonder if we could have a tutor on one of the sets ?

I look forward to seeing people's pics.
Rose
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 29 Nov 2012, 13:19

Rose wrote:I wonder if we could have a tutor on one of the sets ?

Does anyone with experience of working with studio lighting want to volunteer to help out at the next session?
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu 29 Nov 2012, 14:08

I'm annoyed I missed out on this, events conspired against me - definitely interested to see everyone's efforts and for another session to be organised soon!
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 04 Dec 2012, 16:04

Mike Farley wrote:
A reminder that we have promised Lucy and Tanya some photos from the evening, so could everyone who participated send full size, high quality JPEGs of their best shots to the club's e-mail address croydoncameraclub@gmail.com. I would also like to see people showing us their results in either the Image Critique or Photo Sharing sections of the forum, although I am sure that we will also be seeing some of the shots in forthcoming competitions.

Bump
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “General”