$1500 Print

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

$1500 Print

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 09:31

If I were spending that much on a print, I would want a more exciting image than this. The main attraction seems to be the amount of detail revealed by the printing process.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2014/10/31/li ... #more-9677

Ming Thein gives a partial explanation of his "Ultraprint" method in this post. By his own admission, such prints can only be fully appreciated at close viewing distances rather than what would usually be considered normal. It might be worth experimenting with his ideas to see if there is any benefit for competition images when some judges do seem to have a preference for pixel peeping when assessing prints.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2014/10/30/ul ... #more-9756

PS - MT links to a point below the start of his articles, so you will need to scroll up to see the beginning.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Re: $1500 Print

Postby davidc » Sun 02 Nov 2014, 14:07

Ming continues to fail to impress.
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 02 Nov 2014, 14:53

davidc wrote:Ming continues to fail to impress.

The irony is that he considers himself to be a photographer with the reviews as a sideline, whereas the reality is that his reviews are often the more interesting part of his output.
Regards

Mike Farley
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Sun 09 Nov 2014, 18:04

Mike Farley wrote:PS - MT links to a point below the start of his articles, so you will need to scroll up to see the beginning.

Remove the #more-XXXX part from the URL and it'll go to the top.

That's a general thing that works on any webpage* - whenever you see a # (hash) in a URL, everything that comes after is the "fragment identifier" which tells the browser which part of the page to jump to. (The other parts identifying which server/page/content to use.) To put that another way: changing/removing the text after the hash does not alter the content a webpage shows, only which part of that content the browser jumps to.

*That's specifically webpage - some webapps (e.g. Gmail) have appropriated the fragment identifier for their own uses, and behave slightly differently.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 11 Nov 2014, 09:26

Thanks, Peter. I was vaguely aware of the facility to jump to a particular section of a page, but MT's prose failed to inspire me to look at the issue more closely.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “General”