William Klein

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

William Klein

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 19 Nov 2012, 23:15

On Tuesday, 20 November at 22:35, the BBC is featuring the photographer William Klein in the current series of Imagine. If previouus programmes are a guide, it should provide an fascinating insight into the work of a skilled photographer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p0rrc

The Tate Modern is also currently showing Klein's work, together with that of of Daido Moriyama, in a exhibition which runs until 20 January, 2013 and which Amateur Photographer has just reviewed. AP described Klein as the most important photographer of the 20th century and awarded a maximum five stars in its report.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-19873075

http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-modern/exhibition/william-klein-daido-moriyama
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Re: William Klein

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 09 Dec 2012, 15:46

The next issue of Amateur Photographer (15 December 2012) has an article about the Klein/Moriyama exhbtion at the Tate Modern. AP points out that this is the largest photographic exhibition that we are likely to see in London for some time. The exhbition is split into 14 rooms, with half dedicated to Klein and the rest to Moriyama. I quite enjoyed the Klein section, but the Moriyama left me cold. I have seen quite a lot of contemporary Japanese photography, none of which has impressed; it seems to be one of those acquired tastes. Many of the images at the Tate Modern are dark and grainy, lack sharpness and are generally visually uninteresting. Moriyama is supposed to be pushing the boundaries of photography. Right over the edge, so far as I am concerned.

No doubt the Tate Modern knows what it is doing (and there are certainly a lot of people attending the exhibition), but the paying public would be better served if the space dedicated to Moriyama had been given over to any number of modern photographers I can think of.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Mon 10 Dec 2012, 09:53

What didn't you like about Moriyama's work?
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 10 Dec 2012, 09:59

Mike Farley wrote:Many of the images at the Tate Modern are dark and grainy, lack sharpness and are generally visually uninteresting.

Er .......
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Mon 10 Dec 2012, 10:04

Mike Farley wrote:
Mike Farley wrote:Many of the images at the Tate Modern are dark and grainy, lack sharpness and are generally visually uninteresting.

Er .......

Ah when I read that I didn't realise you were specifically referring to Moriyama, I thought you meant the Tate Modern in general.
One could argue exactly the same is true of Klein for example -

Same holds true for the likes of HCB etc. too. Sometimes I think it works depending on the shot and context. Though agree the shot above is dreadful.
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

Postby davidc » Mon 10 Dec 2012, 10:11

Mike Farley wrote: I have seen quite a lot of contemporary Japanese photography

Could you send/post a link (or two) please, quite curious to check it out myself.
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 10 Dec 2012, 10:51

I have only ever come across Japanese photography unintentionally and have not gone looking for it on the web. Last year I went to a RPS seminar called "Photography and the City" at Westminster University. The highlight of the day was Tom Hunter, but one of the other presenters was a post graduate student who was researching contemporary Japanese photography for his PhD. Even with an expert explaining the topic, I failed to see the attraction. Earlier this year, I went to the Photographers' Gallery to see the Deutsche Borse prize contenders and at the same time there was an exhibition which comprised modern Japanese photography books. After a while I gave up trying to find the decent stuff .....

Maybe it's a cultural thing, but there are plenty of other non Japanese contemporary photographers whose work also lacks appeal. The RPS is particularly good at finding them and highlighting their work, almost to the exclusion of everything else, in its Journal. Here's one example of a non Japanese photographer, another of the presenters from "Photography and the City" and who appears to be lauded by "those who know". Hers was the last session of the day and quite a lot of people walked out whilst she was talking. I mainly stayed out of courtesy, with an added pique of curiosity. Surely she must have taken one decent picture which she intended to show us?

http://rutbleesluxemburg.com/

All I can suggest is that you Google Japanese photographers/photography and start from there. You will probably also find a lot of Daido Moriyama's work via a search. As I said, I don't go seeking out this style of photography.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Mon 10 Dec 2012, 12:48

On a semi-related note I came across this. I've not even been in the club a year and I can already understand the obvious joke here and the more subtle irony within.

http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.c ... ernet.html
My Top 50 album is here

Return to “General”