Is this off camera flash theory correct?

For guides on how to do something, explanations on how particular results are achieved, etc.
abennettphotography

Is this off camera flash theory correct?

Postby abennettphotography » Wed 09 Feb 2022, 13:13

I have a Godox XPro transmitter (Nikon) which works fine with my AD200PRO

I also have another pair of transmitter and receiver units (Calumet) dedicated for Nikon use.

I thought that given both the Godox and Calumet use the same frequency - 2.4GHz - I could use the XPro to fire the Calumet receiver attached to another flash (in this case a Metz 44).

However, this doesn't seem to work. Am I doing something wrong? Is my assumption wrong or do you have to use Godox dedicated receivers to fire flashes?

Thanks in advance.
Mike Farley

Re: Is this off camera flash theory correct?

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 12 Feb 2022, 09:17

abennettphotography wrote:I thought that given both the Godox and Calumet use the same frequency - 2.4GHz - I could use the XPro to fire the Calumet receiver attached to another flash (in this case a Metz 44).

These devices usually have a function to configure separate channels. It is there so that if two people are shooting near each other, they will not trigger the other's flash. Check that the Calumet receiver is set to the same value as the Godox.

Do let us know how you get on.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
abennettphotography

Postby abennettphotography » Sat 12 Feb 2022, 11:48

Interesting. I assumed they were both on the same channel as I the Calumet's default setting is Group A, Channel 1 and I'm pretty sure I set teh Godox to that. But will check and give it a go.
abennettphotography

Postby abennettphotography » Wed 16 Feb 2022, 20:45

Hmmm. So tried again and made sure all the channels and groups matched but still no joy. So either you can't mix and match or else I'm doing something wrong...
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 23 Feb 2022, 08:26

[quote="abennettphotography"....either you can't mix and match or else I'm doing something wrong...[/quote]
Probably. ;)

Without being familiar with the kit, it is difficult to give anything other than a general suggestion. Presumably you have already tried Google. Godox support, if such a thing exists, might be able to help. Calumet has long since been absorbed into Wex so they might not be in a position to assist. It is worth asking, though. A further possibility is incompatibility between the Calumet receiver and the Metz flash. Sometimes manufacturers cannot resist designing gear so that it only works with their own products. I have no idea whether that applies to Metz or Godox, though.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
abennettphotography

Postby abennettphotography » Thu 24 Feb 2022, 10:24

Thanks Mike. All good ideas. I will follow up.
abennettphotography

Postby abennettphotography » Mon 28 Feb 2022, 13:42

So, theory flawed. Triggers and receivers have to be of the same brand to communicate with each other. This from Pixapro (Godox in this country):

"It doesn't work that way, unfortunately. The 2.4GHz signal is just the frequency that is used to transmit the instructions between one device and another. The two devices both need to be designed from the ground up to communicate with one another for them to be compatible (different manufacturers use different protocols for their own devices unless they have been specifically designed to work with another trigger system).

Our triggers are only compatible with other Pixapro/Godox triggers and receivers"

Return to “Techniques & Tutorials”