David's Project 365

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
davidc

Re: David's Project 365

Postby davidc » Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:50

Half a dozen images uploaded today, hopefully I can add more tonight.
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#240 - Cocktail II

Postby davidc » Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:14

After doing the French-inspired one yesterday I thought this might work - quite pleased how it turned out.

Cocktail II - 240/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

Postby davidc » Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:17

Added quite a few images

224 - Mollusc - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=170&start=550#p3206
228 - Glencoe Lochan - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=170&p=3210#p3210
290 - The Lonely Mountain - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=170&p=3211#p3211
230 - Sea Pigeon - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=170&start=560#p3212

And Cocktail II above.

Now I only have ten images, two presentations and a mother/child photoshoot to process and I've caught up!
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Re: #232 - Wild Red

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 31 Aug 2013, 10:07

davidc wrote:I really like red squirrels and this is already one of my favourite shots of the year so far. Not only are they fellow gingers but I did a project on them as a kid. They are now extremely rare, the "imported" greys bringing parasites and aggression that has forced them into isolated locations in the north.

Seeing one in the wild - and even better getting a picture I love - was a real treat.

Wild Red - 232/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr

I also like this one, Dave, and you took full advantage of your good fortune. I have only ever seen one red squirrel in the wild, but unfortunately light levels were a tad low and my camera equipment at the time could not really cope. No image stabilisation and a low shutter speed resulted in some just visible camera shake.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Re: #230 - Sea Pigeon

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 31 Aug 2013, 13:07

davidc wrote:This is not a seagull. After visiting the beach near Cardiff and spotting a seagull swooping around with a fish in it's mouth I pointed it out to my wife.

She claimed it wasn't a seagull but in fact a pigeon. You know, those famous, huge, white pigeons that live in the sea.

I will be pointing out sea pigeons to her for a long time to come. I think she's lived in London too long.

(This is also a "bird in flight". Just FYI ;) :D )

Sea Pigeon - 230/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr

LOL! Reminds me of the time when my son, who was quite young at the time, was very excited to see "ducks" in the garden one morning. Wood pigeons!

This is well captured, with the posture of the "pigeon" and its sharpness really making the shot. That said, I am a bit uncertain about the positioning of the bird on the right and the use of negative space. In some ways I quite like it, but in other ways I would prefer a bit more on the right and a bit less on the left to align the centre of the subject on the golden section.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Re: #239 - Le Cocktail

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 31 Aug 2013, 13:08

davidc wrote:It's been a while since I did a relatively simple setup like this (aka "mucking about with water") but I've got a few ideas I want to explore so expect to see more of these :)

Le Cocktail - 239/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr

Very clever. Ice cubes?
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Re: #240 - Cocktail II

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 31 Aug 2013, 13:10

davidc wrote:After doing the French-inspired one yesterday I thought this might work - quite pleased how it turned out.

Cocktail II - 240/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr

Another clever shot. How did you set up the split lighting effect?
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Sat 31 Aug 2013, 14:02

Thank you - and the setup is dead easy. The background is white mount board, half covered with black cloth, and lit from beneath by my flash. The way the glass & water refracts the light produces the split lighting effect. I stood it on a mirror as well to further increase the effect. It's basically the same concept as what I did with the French flag themed one the day before. In the case of the french one, the red glass behind and to the left refracts around to be on the right side and vice versa for the blue.

Also our wine glasses have the little square "dimples" you see at the top which cause even more refraction :)

So no camera trickery or odd setup, just playing about with the light :) This is an example of one of those setups I'd like to explore more but in the interests of keeping the 365 as different as possible I'm moving on until next year.
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 31 Aug 2013, 17:06

davidc wrote:Thank you - and the setup is dead easy. The background is white mount board, half covered with black cloth, and lit from beneath by my flash. The way the glass & water refracts the light produces the split lighting effect. I stood it on a mirror as well to further increase the effect. It's basically the same concept as what I did with the French flag themed one the day before. In the case of the french one, the red glass behind and to the left refracts around to be on the right side and vice versa for the blue.

Also our wine glasses have the little square "dimples" you see at the top which cause even more refraction :)

So no camera trickery or odd setup, just playing about with the light :) This is an example of one of those setups I'd like to explore more but in the interests of keeping the 365 as different as possible I'm moving on until next year.

Thanks for those explanations. Quite amazing how such relatively simple setups can be so effective.
Regards

Mike Farley
Nina

Re: #239 - Le Cocktail

Postby Nina » Sat 31 Aug 2013, 23:22

davidc wrote:It's been a while since I did a relatively simple setup like this (aka "mucking about with water") but I've got a few ideas I want to explore so expect to see more of these :)

Le Cocktail - 239/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr

Very effective David. I hope I'm not on holiday when you demonstrate all that clever stuff at the club. :D
Regards

Nina

Check out my latest work
On www.pbase.com/ninaludwig

Return to “Photo Sharing”