Paul's 52 Week Project

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Paul Heester

Re: Paul's 52 Week Project

Postby Paul Heester » Sun 25 Aug 2013, 20:04

I agree on this point. I did think of removing bridge altogether by shooting in front of it but didnt want the Thames in lower half with no foreground interest. Alas, there wasnt a higher vantage to be had. FYI If you havent been to the new Blackfriars station yet you must go. I was very impressed with the view from there, not sure if they would be happy with tripods though :?

Mike Farley wrote:I like the idea of combining three images takn over such a long time span to create a composite and the tones here are very atmospheric. The bridge is a very dominant feature and I would have liked to have seen it separated from the background in some way.
Paul Heester

Week 30/52

Postby Paul Heester » Sun 25 Aug 2013, 20:05

Have wanted to try some food photography but thought it easier to buy the food on this occasion. Took a long time to compose the cheesecake and fork. Then carefully poured strawberry sauce. Used some white reflectors to bounce light onto plate.

Week 30/52 by Paul Heester, on Flickr
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 27 Aug 2013, 09:45

Mmmm, tasty ......

This type of shot is much harder to perfect than it looks. You have done a good job here and I am sure that you learnt a lot while doing it.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 27 Aug 2013, 09:58

Paul Heester wrote:I agree on this point. I did think of removing bridge altogether by shooting in front of it but didnt want the Thames in lower half with no foreground interest. Alas, there wasnt a higher vantage to be had. FYI If you havent been to the new Blackfriars station yet you must go. I was very impressed with the view from there, not sure if they would be happy with tripods though :?

Mike Farley wrote:I like the idea of combining three images takn over such a long time span to create a composite and the tones here are very atmospheric. The bridge is a very dominant feature and I would have liked to have seen it separated from the background in some way.

I did suspect that from that viewpoint you had little option other than to frame the shot the way you did and I concur about it needing some foreground interest. Given the time span over which you made the exposures, a passing boat would not have been of much use. :) Having to use a tripod probably did not help, either, due to the need to set it up where people are not going to fall over it. That would probably rules out setting it up on the bridge itself and including some of its structure.

Thanks for the tip about Blackfriars Station. I'll take a gander next time I am in the area.
Regards

Mike Farley
Paul Heester

Week 31/52

Postby Paul Heester » Mon 02 Sep 2013, 19:34

Went back to macro for this shot which is glycerin dabbed onto glass with smarties below. Then the glycerin becomes the lens that you focus on and get nice distortions.

Week 31/52 by Paul Heester, on Flickr
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 05 Sep 2013, 10:11

Interesting effect. Thanks for telling us how you did it.
Regards

Mike Farley
Paul Heester

Week 32/52

Postby Paul Heester » Wed 11 Sep 2013, 09:51

Spent a morning on the DLR capturing long exposure shots in the tunnels. No space for a tripod so handheld camera against glass on front carriage for a 3 second exposure. This shot is just approaching Greenwich. Added some extra colour into image also.

Week 32/52 by Paul Heester, on Flickr
davidc

Postby davidc » Wed 11 Sep 2013, 11:07

How did you stabilise it for 3.2 secs on the jittery old DLR? You can see a bit of wobble in the light but it's smoother than I'd have thought possible for a DLR!
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Wed 11 Sep 2013, 11:52

I was pressing the lens against the window and this stretch of rail is fairly straight so it wasnt that hard. Having said that there were many shots that didnt make the grade! In fact this is the very last shot I made :)

davidc wrote:How did you stabilise it for 3.2 secs on the jittery old DLR? You can see a bit of wobble in the light but it's smoother than I'd have thought possible for a DLR!
Paul Heester

Week 33/52

Postby Paul Heester » Thu 19 Sep 2013, 09:45

Early Sunday morning drive into Kent to attend the 7am Headcorn balloon ascent. However, heavy mist and no wind prevented all but this test run. Still happy with this image though.

Week 33/52 by Paul Heester, on Flickr

Return to “Photo Sharing”