You need a backup strategy. Here's Glyn Dewis'

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
abennettphotography

You need a backup strategy. Here's Glyn Dewis'

Postby abennettphotography » Mon 06 Jul 2020, 18:54

Franke07

Re: You need a backup strategy. Here's Glyn Dewis'

Postby Franke07 » Mon 06 Jul 2020, 23:08

This is similar to mine, it's incorporated into my workflow - which I didn't feel I really did justice to the other week. Essentially I have 4 internal hard drives. The system drive has all the applications and catalogue files this is a Solid State flash drive. I use Genie Timeline to create a disaster recovery solution which is stored on a USB flash drive Stored outside the house. The other Three internal hard drives are standard mechanical drives (i.e. the old fashion spinning disks) They are assigned to different data types. i.e one holds all the original RAW or out the camera Jpeg files, another holds all my edited images in Tif & Jpeg format, the last disk holds video and any other document files. This may seem convoluted but it's quicker and simpler to identify the data allowing quicker backup and restores.
Some would say you don't need to do this as LR doesn't change the original - No argument from me on this point! but you will still need to backup your original and the LR catalogue. Yes you can build Smart Previews, which allows you to edit a smaller DNG file but as the catalogues grow it will slow down your day yo day processing.

I use Genie Timeline to back up my originals to a separate external USB Drive, this data is simultaneously backup to a cloud storage solution (Zool). My modified files are backed up to Amazon, prior to that they were backed up to Google.

One of the lessons I have learnt in IT, is even when your backup solution tells you all is well, it's worth doing a restore to test that it works and to do this regularly! Make it part of your workflow.

There are other products and solutions out there! Backing up your data is the important thing , you spend a lot of time capturing and processing your images - protect that investment!

Even if you just have a one disk system - you need to be prepared, disks fail don't wait

Happy to advise if anyone needs, just PM me!
abennettphotography

Postby abennettphotography » Tue 07 Jul 2020, 18:12

That's really interesting, Frank and very useful. I particularly like they way you've assigned different files to different disks. I have a couple of questions:

1) You say you use a USB flash drive for disater recovery. What's on it and how big is the drive?

2) You're using Zoolz as cloud storage. How much is that and for how much? It looks like once you start getting past a Tb, it becomes very expensive.

3) How much is your Amazon storage and for how much space?

From my point of view I've got 2.5Tb's worth of files and it's not going to get smaller. Thus far, Backblaze looks very reasonable - unlimited storage for about £6 a month
Franke07

Postby Franke07 » Tue 07 Jul 2020, 20:57

abennettphotography wrote:That's really interesting, Frank and very useful. I particularly like they way you've assigned different files to different disks. I have a couple of questions:

1) You say you use a USB flash drive for disater recovery. What's on it and how big is the drive?

2) You're using Zoolz as cloud storage. How much is that and for how much? It looks like once you start getting past a Tb, it becomes very expensive.

3) How much is your Amazon storage and for how much space?

From my point of view I've got 2.5Tb's worth of files and it's not going to get smaller. Thus far, Backblaze looks very reasonable - unlimited storage for about £6 a month

1) It's a 4Gb flash drive and the recovery files are using approx 300Mb.

2)I brought 1Tb cold storage when they launched this as a promo. Currently using just under 300Gb, this just backs up the Originals, I don't delete a lot of images but I tend to be frugal when shooting 22,000 images (spanning from 2002- To-date).

3) I have an Amazon Prime subscription that includes unlimited storage for hi res images as part of the package. My Amazon solution is currently using 55Gb of the unlimited storage, they throw in 5Gb of video storage I'm using 2Gb of that space.

Cloud storage can be expensive, you need to shop around - consider the companies longevity, having a local copy takes the pressure off if you have to change supplier!

Your BackBlaze solution looks a great deal!

Hope that helps

Return to “General”