Recovering failed hard disk

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Peter Boughton

Re: Recovering failed hard disk

Postby Peter Boughton » Thu 25 Jun 2020, 12:12

toms wrote:BUT beware, the software has an auto renew feature with will renew your licence when it expires unless you go into your account and cancel the renewal.

?

Are you sure you used PhotoRec as downloaded from https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec ?

PhotoRec is funded by voluntary donations, not a monthly subscription.

There is no reference to such a license anywhere on cgsecurity.org nor in the PDF documentation, so it sounds like you downloaded something else...

toms

Postby toms » Thu 25 Jun 2020, 14:49

Hi Peter,

Yes, you are correct. I searched PhotoRec and opted for the first result which showed it to be PhotoRec but was in fact RecoverIt from Wondershare. It looked the same but was obviously a totally separate programme, but it definitely did the job. Well worth the £40 to me and it might even have a little more functionality than the free open source one. You probably get what you pay for, but either way I've cancelled my subscription and am happy. £100 got me a new hard disc and recovered files which is better than some of the costs mentioned by local shops.

Tom
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 25 Jun 2020, 19:41

toms wrote:I searched PhotoRec and opted for the first result which showed it to be PhotoRec but was in fact RecoverIt from Wondershare.

A win for Google Ads placing paid for results ahead of others, I suspect. They do make it very easy to click inadvertently on the first link returned. :?

But also a win for recovering data which would otherwise have been lost. An impressive result. :D
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
toms

Postby toms » Thu 25 Jun 2020, 20:14

Hi Mike,

A very pleasing result. Yes I did succumb to the Google AD much to my shame but in the print it stated that it was free which threw me. Yes it was free to do the scan... :( After 4-5 hours of enduring the scan process I wasn't going to start all over again.

Anyway my error whilst a success has at least offered up another avenue of software that seems to work should others fall into the same difficulty.

Tom
walterconquy

Postby walterconquy » Fri 26 Jun 2020, 12:28

HULLO ALL, I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AS ANDY A FEW WEEKS AGO, I MAY HAVE WRITTEN ABOUT IT IN THE FORUM, I BOUGHT ANOTHER EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE AND I WAS ABLE TO SEE EVERYTHING I HAD LOST WHEN I MOVED EVERYTHING ON TO IT.
MY PROBLEM NOW IS I CANNOT RID MYSELF OF THE FOLDERS FROM MY OVERLOADED EXTERNAL FILE, THEY ARE STILL CLOGGING UP MY MEMORY EVEN THOUGH I CANNOT READ THEM. EVERY TIME I WANT TO DELETE THEM MY MAC TELLS ME I HAVE NOT ENOUGH PERMISSIONS, WHEN I TRY TO GET PERMISSIONS I AM STILL UNABLE TO.
ANY HELP WOULD BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED.
REGARDS WALLY
abennettphotography

Postby abennettphotography » Fri 26 Jun 2020, 13:44

Have you tried Mac support (links via Apple Uk website) either phone or chat? Once you get someone, they're usually very helpful.
Franke07

Postby Franke07 » Fri 26 Jun 2020, 17:35

walterconquy wrote:HULLO ALL, I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AS ANDY A FEW WEEKS AGO, I MAY HAVE WRITTEN ABOUT IT IN THE FORUM, I BOUGHT ANOTHER EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE AND I WAS ABLE TO SEE EVERYTHING I HAD LOST WHEN I MOVED EVERYTHING ON TO IT.
MY PROBLEM NOW IS I CANNOT RID MYSELF OF THE FOLDERS FROM MY OVERLOADED EXTERNAL FILE, THEY ARE STILL CLOGGING UP MY MEMORY EVEN THOUGH I CANNOT READ THEM. EVERY TIME I WANT TO DELETE THEM MY MAC TELLS ME I HAVE NOT ENOUGH PERMISSIONS, WHEN I TRY TO GET PERMISSIONS I AM STILL UNABLE TO.
ANY HELP WOULD BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED.
REGARDS WALLY

Hi Wally,

give me a call!
walterconquy

Postby walterconquy » Sun 28 Jun 2020, 13:50

Hullo thanks for writing Andy. about half an hour after writing I found the solution. In case somebody else has a similar problem on Mac I will explain. I clicked on the trash can at the bottom right hand side of my desktop and got the trash folder up, and was able to drag the folder I needed to get rid of on to the sheet. I can now empty the trash and I hope everything will be alright. I haven't done it yet because I need to check that all my folders have been copied. I am certain that is my problem solved.
Regards Wally
walterconquy

Postby walterconquy » Sun 28 Jun 2020, 13:52

Hi Franke I would have put your name in Franke but I only noticed you after I sent my comments, but thanks for offering.
Kindest regards Wally
abennettphotography

Postby abennettphotography » Wed 01 Jul 2020, 17:54

Return to “General”