Master of Photography 2019

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Mike Farley

Re: Master of Photography 2019

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 05 Jun 2019, 16:38

Mike Farley wrote:It will be obvious after that as the eliminated contestant will not have an image displayed for week 2.

Sonia Bhamra does not have any images in the second round, which presumably means that she was last week's eliminated contestant.

This week's "Look-alikes" round yielded some slightly better images than last time, although I struggled to identify who the models were supposed to be impersonating. (Was there an "Amy Whitehouse" in the mix?) Robin De Goede is still doing the intentional camera movement thing but appears to have won the round with a shot where the effect is more subtle. If so, I find myself in agreement with the judges albeit I would have dialled back the highlights a tad.

Ness Rubey wins my vote for ejection. An upside portrait? Come on.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Wed 05 Jun 2019, 19:14

Paul said: I will decline this series and suspect I wont be worse of for it.

That is your prerogative.

First and foremost though, it is a fun game show with a touch of seriousness.
During the run of the show, although in a cursory manner, it does cover a range of different genres of photography - Hence "Master of Photography" in a small way.

It does offer a sizeable prize of 100,000 euros suggesting that it is rather popular with big enough audiences across Europe.
Additionally, this year one of the contestants will receive a six-month residency at Fabrica, the research centre on contemporary communication founded by Oliviero Toscani. That is serious enough.

I enjoy it for what it is,
Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 05 Jun 2019, 22:52

Quite clearly, the emphasis is on contemporary photography which can be an acquired taste. It is what I consign my rejected images to that do not fit into any other category. ;)
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 23:25

#2 Look-Alikes

Mike said: I struggled to identify who the models were supposed to be impersonating

Liz Taylor, the Pope, Lady Gaga, Amy Winehouse, Johnny Depp, George Michael (we say him live very close-up at Albert Hall, RIP).

Look-Alikes was more difficult than one might expect. It was set in an old empty night club that had lots of sets.
Contestants had just 15 minutes before and after transformation that put a lot of pressure to get the shots.
They had an assistant to help with the lighting, soft boxes and more.

Some used the Canon 50mm f1.2 prime, one use just the 24-105mm lens and while others used both lenses(?).

Ness was unlucky with her subject as this George Michael look-alike was the same before and after make-up.
She had transformed George lying down. She used both lenses.

I had high hopes for Danilo after the first epsiode, but his Amy Winehouse was the worst image.
Not just for me but also for the judges and the visiting expert Martin Schoeller.
He would not accept any advice on cropping. He should have gone but was probably retained for the sake of the show.
Jan was another who refused to crop the transformation! But he had a strong first image.

Britisher, Richard Morgan did the best as his subject transformed to the Pope.
Most would have done well with this model.

Mike, you will have to watch the show but judging the images on the website works to some extent!
Last edited by Iggy on Wed 19 Jun 2019, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 08 Jun 2019, 08:35

Iggy wrote:
Mike said: I struggled to identify who the models were supposed to be impersonating

Liz Taylor, the Pope, Lady Gaga, Amy Winehouse, Johnny Depp, George Michael (we say him live very close-up at Albert Hall, RIP).

Look-Alikes was more difficult than one might expect. It was set in an old empty night club that had lots of sets.
Contestants had just 15 minutes before and after transformation that put a lot of pressure to get the shots.
They had an assistant to help with the lighting, soft boxes and more.

Ness was unlucky with her subject as this George Michael look-alike was the same before and after make-up.
She had transformed George lying down.

OK, I understand better what was happening in the episode. I can identify all but one of the lookalikes as you have only listed six. At first I thought "Liz Taylor" might be Dustin Hoffman's Tootsie without the glasses ........

15 minutes is quite a lot of time. Frequently celebrities only allow a few minutes. Jane Bown once took a photo of Samuel Beckett who was notoriously camera shy. He had tried to evade her by leaving via the stage door at the Royal Court theatre, but she managed to find him and get a few quick shots. The encounter was over within seconds. One went on to become the best known and is usually used to depict the author. Mainly that is due to its quality, although there are very few other images of him.

Comparing this show to the Apprentice, I often get the impression that Alan Sugar would like to fire the majority of the contestants in the first round but knows that the no hopers are essential to the success of the show. Not least as they are the targets of his ire. I thought that when interpreted symbolically, Ness's shot in the opening programme fitted the brief more closely than many of the other efforts.

Iggy wrote:Mike, you will have to watch the show but judging the images on the website works to some extent!

I do not subscribe to either of the services on which it is being shown and I have not seen any of the previous series, either. This will have to do.
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Tue 11 Jun 2019, 23:31

# 3 Integration
in Torpignattara a diverse suburb of Rome.
4 hours to capture integration of various communities in 3 to 5 images.
Really needed to talk with people to capture their soul for this one.
Who was the winner? Who would you eliminate?

For Integration Images Check out: https://masterofphotography.tv/en/episodes/integration/
Last edited by Iggy on Wed 19 Jun 2019, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Wed 12 Jun 2019, 12:31

Iggy wrote:4 hours to capture integration of various communities in 3 to 5 images.

Interesting that they all opted for the upper limit - were they presented/judged as panels, or just a series of images?

They are not displayed in a good way on the website, which is a shame.

Who would you eliminate?

It looks like Maria is trying to tell a story with one subject, but I don't understand it.

Perhaps titles would help, but the others all succeed (to varying degrees) in saying something without them.
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Thu 13 Jun 2019, 00:16

Judges were on the prowl during the shoot, way laying the competitors to see what they were doing and giving them some ideas – a bit of a workshop?

Brenda Ann Kenneally, US photojournalist, offered her advice to contestants on their image selections that some took.

Images were presented as a series that told a story to the judges.
Judges noted your point about all using maximum number, when 3 might have hung together better with some.

Competitors here said verbally to the judges (& camera) what they were trying to present.
In any case the overall title was Integration, I guess.

Maria’s story was about an Italian who felt trapped in her home by the new cultures all around her.
in her case, Brenda suggested using just 4 images that might have worked better. Judges independently came to the same conclusion.
Additionally they would have liked more intimate images of the subject.
She was In the bottom 2 but survived.

So who got knocked out? What portfolio did you like best?
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Thu 13 Jun 2019, 14:10

I wouldn't be surprised if Richard was knocked out - he would have had a stronger set with just images 1/2/5, and even then those are a style of images that wouldn't necessarily score well with a camera club judge.

I don't think Robin's middle three images are successful/cohesive enough.

I'm undecided about Danilo's set - I can see a judge not liking them (even if I wouldn't agree).

I'm also undecided about Jan - I can see it doing well, it might be the most successful at showing integration, but I don't feel a connection with the subjects.

Sidar's images show the other side of the coin to Maria's story, with stronger portraits than Jan. Not sure if image 2 adds to the set though, and image 5 could have been stronger if cropped.
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Thu 13 Jun 2019, 21:41

Peter said: Sidar's images show the other side of the coin to Maria's story, with stronger portraits than Jan. Not sure if image 2 adds to the set though, and image 5 could have been stronger if cropped.

Sirdar was the winner on the night, with judges having some of the same reservations as you!

One of the other four who comes from Rome was dismissed! Still life does not really tell too much of an emotive story here.

Return to “Outings & Events”