Image Critique Session

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Mike Farley

Image Critique Session

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 31 Mar 2019, 18:33

As Sarah mentioned in her latest newsletter to members, I have put my hand up to hold a pilot image critique session at my house. The idea is that it will be informal and fully interactive. My proposal is that participants will be requested to bring JPEG images on a memory stick which I will load into Lightroom and project onto a screen. The group will then discuss the image and suggested edits made on the fly using Lightroom's adjustment tools. Of necessity, such processing will be of a quick and dirty nature, but should be sufficient to show the effect of the alterations. Anyone who wishes will be free to take away the updated version of their images. I will delete all photos at the end of the meeting.

Later on, if there is sufficient interest, it might be possible to include prints. Given the difficulty of arranging suitable lighting in a domestic environment, it would be better to hold such a session during daylight hours. Accepting that could have to be at a weekend for those who work Monday to Friday, with the attendant issues of demands on free time.

How does that sound? Does anyone have any other ideas? The above is my preliminary suggestion based on what I have seen done elsewhere but it is not sacrosanct.

If you would like to attend the first meeting, let me know. Preferably by responding to this post so that everyone can be aware of what is being said. At the very least, send me an e-mail*. If you simply speak to me and rely on my failing memory, you might end up being disappointed. I am looking for a minimum of 3 people to make it worthwhile and a maximum of 5. I anticipate that the meeting will last around two hours. Based on responses, I will make suggestions for dates and times.

When responding, can you say whether you would prefer a weekday or weekend, afternoon or evening. For those attending, I will be seeking feedback afterwards to ensure that any future occasions can be structured to meet people's needs and expectations.

Any questions, post them here.

* For those who do not know my e-mail address, there is a facility for sending e-mails via the forum. Alternatively, I can be contacted using the online form on my website, link below.

https://www.mikefarley.net/contact
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Sarahrs

Re: Image Critique Session

Postby Sarahrs » Thu 04 Apr 2019, 22:28

Hi Mike

Thanks for offering. I would be interested. Weekend would be better but can do some week nights.
Tina

Postby Tina » Fri 05 Apr 2019, 18:23

Hi Mike
I am interested in joining the critique session.
Many thanks
Tina
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 06 Apr 2019, 19:37

Thanks, Sarah and Tina. One more person will give us a quorum but I would be more encouraged about this initiative if we had the full number of five attendees.
Regards

Mike Farley
Nina

Postby Nina » Sun 07 Apr 2019, 20:06

Hi Mike

I would be interested in joining this experiment. Both weekdays and weekends would be OK for me.
Regards

Nina

Check out my latest work
On www.pbase.com/ninaludwig
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 08 Apr 2019, 19:32

Great, we have got the minimum needed but having a couple of extra people will make the session a more worthwhile experience for all concerned.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 12 May 2019, 22:20

Apologies that not much has happened as I have been away recently. I have spoken to Sarah and agreed a date of Saturday, 22 June to hold the pilot session. The time will be 14:30 and the venue will be my house. Can everyone who expressed an interest confirm that they will be able to attend. There is still at least one place available if anyone else is interested. I will notify attendees of the full details separately.

As this event will take place during the day, it will be possible to include prints as well as DPI. It would be helpful if anyone who has prints could bring a digital version so that any suggested amendments can be demonstrated.
Regards

Mike Farley
Tina

Postby Tina » Mon 13 May 2019, 08:56

Hi Mike
22nd June ok for me.
Many thanks
Tina
Ronald Barker

Postby Ronald Barker » Mon 13 May 2019, 09:42

Hi Mike

22nd June should be alright for me.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 29 May 2019, 10:52

With regret, I am cancelling this event. To date, I have only two committed responses and, as I indicated from the outset, this is not sufficient to ensure a lively and insightful session with a diversity of opinions from which everyone can benefit. My thanks go to those who expressed an interest.

I am firmly of the belief that, whatever our level of experience, we can all learn from each other. If circumstances change, my offer to host an informal event of this nature remains open.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Outings & Events”