Lightroom Tuition

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Mike Farley

Lightroom Tuition

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 07 May 2018, 09:43

Sandra has asked me to run through Lightroom with her and we have agreed a date of 12 June 2018 when she will come to my house for some tuition. If anyone else is interested, you are welcome to come along as well although I will be restricting the numbers to Sandra and two others to keep things manageable. Should there be a rush for places, it will be first come, first served.

We will kick off proceedings at around 9:30 am. There is no formal finish time, but I expect to be able to wrap things up by early to mid afternoon.

If you do want to come, I ask that you bring a laptop with Lightroom installed if you are already using it and submit a list of topics in good time ahead of the session so that I can structure the day so that everyone gets the most out of it. That does not rule out topics coming up ad hoc, but too many of those could prove to be a distraction and we might not achieve all our objectives.

If you want to come along, simply reply to this thread. I also request that you add your questions here as well so that everyone is aware of the agenda for the day, which I will also publish here. Questions can be submitted in one or more separate posts and do not have to be made at the same time as your meeting request.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Iggy

Re: Lightroom Tuition

Postby Iggy » Mon 07 May 2018, 13:07

Hi Mike,
I purchased the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 on CD in Nov 2017 with the view of setting it up on my Desktop, which I have not done yet.
Checking on Google just now,it appears that one is permitted installation on both desktop and laptop.
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/end-user-license-agreements-faq.html Can I use my software on two computers?

I am rather busy this month what with preparing my Glimpses of Goa presentation and the last of the images for our two remaining competitions.
So I would only start looking at Lightroom at the beginning of June.

I am rather interested in learning how to use Lightroom.
Would I be too much of a newbie for the tutorials that you have kindly offered to hold?
I am currently doing simple changes in Photoshop 6.

Kind regards,
Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 08 May 2018, 08:10

Iggy wrote:Checking on Google just now,it appears that one is permitted installation on both desktop and laptop.
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/end-user-license-agreements-faq.html Can I use my software on two computers?

That is what it says.

You should be aware that Adobe has implemented an activation scheme for its perpetual licence applications which works in a different way to the method it uses for Creative Cloud. If you want to transfer a copy of the software to another computer, you will need to deactivate it first. Simply uninstalling might leave the activation in place for that machine and there will be no option available to deactivate without reinstalling the application. Possibly the uninstall process will check that deactivation is required, which is the user friendly way to do it, but I do not know if Adobe does this.

Iggy wrote:I purchased the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 on CD in Nov 2017 with the view of setting it up on my Desktop, which I have not done yet.

.... I would only start looking at Lightroom at the beginning of June.

You are welcome to sit in on this session, although I will be using Lightroom Classic CC which has a number of significant changes from Lightroom 6. However, there is sufficient similarity to allow you to follow along.

My bigger concern is that you have had the software for six months without installing it. You will get more from the session if you have some experience with it. Sure, I can show you what to do but actually using it is the only real way to reinforce the learning process.

For those setting out with Lightroom, I usually recommend Scott Kelby's books which take you through the process of setting up and using Lightroom from scratch. Unfortunately, the English version for Lightroom 6 appears to be out of print when I checked on Amazon. However, there are plenty of other books and resources available on the Internet if you do some research.

You could also try this book from Scott Kelby, although it does not appear to be a complete tutorial, more of a FAQ - https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Do-That-Li ... ightroom+6.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 25 May 2018, 10:34

An update about the agenda for this workshop.

I propose to do an overview of Lightroom, followed by live demonstrations of the Library, Development and Print modules. I will be using Lightroom Creative Cloud Classic. I can share some Raw files so that attendees have the option to work on them alongside me which will reinforce learning, so bring your laptops. Lightroom is available for a free 30 day trial which means we can all be on the same version, assuming no one has previously installed the demo.

Sandra has also asked for tips about what judges want and if there is time I will go through my views about that as well. It will be an amalgam of a couple of my slides from my "Aspects of Composition" presentation which I am giving at the club this Wednesday and a draft of some of the material from the new lecture I am currently writing about perception. The latter is due to have its inauguration at the club in February 2019.

We will start at 9:30 and I anticipate that we will go through to early/mid afternoon, which should allow sufficient time to go through everything. There will be frequent breaks and I will provide tea, coffee etc, but anyone requiring lunch should bring their own. The venue is my house and I will PM the address to anyone who needs it.

Two of the three available places are taken; anyone who wants the last one should book it by responding to this thread.

As I have previously said, attendees will get the best out of this one-off session if they already have some experience of using Lightroom.
Regards

Mike Farley
rosconti

Postby rosconti » Fri 25 May 2018, 11:08

Hi Mike, if it is still available please can I take the remaining place. Thanks. Ros
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 25 May 2018, 11:13

rosconti wrote:Hi Mike, if it is still available please can I take the remaining place. Thanks. Ros

Hi Ros

It is yours.
Regards

Mike Farley
rosconti

Postby rosconti » Fri 25 May 2018, 21:41

Thanks Mike.
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri 08 Jun 2018, 19:18

Hi Mike,
Finally found the Lightroom 6 disc purchased from John Lewis in November 2017 and loaded it successfully on to my Desktop.
LR wanted to move all my images in to a Lightroom folder that it created in User on the small C drive although I tried to request that folder to be on my larger D drive.
So I have halted proceedings for now and have to resolve the location of images issue on my Desktop and hence use of LR for another time.

I do want to have a second copy of Lightroom 6 on my small Lenovo Flex 10 that has a 500 GB hard drive, which apparently one is allowed to do provided they are not on at the same time.
SEE: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1883237
Should I proceed to attempt to load Lightroom on this laptop before I attend the Lightroom Tuition that you are kindly giving us on Tuesday?
Best wishes,
Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 10 Jun 2018, 08:24

Iggy wrote:LR wanted to move all my images in to a Lightroom folder that it created in User on the small C drive although I tried to request that folder to be on my larger D drive.

LR has functions to Move, Copy or Add images. By default, Copy is selected which is what you need when transferring images from a memory card onto your computer. In this instance, as the files are already stored there, you should choose Add. In the Import dialogue, LR has an option to specify the Destination folder when copying or moving images.

When it is first installed, LR creates a database which is known as the Catalog and is where it holds details of the images on your computer (but not the Develop settings), By default it creates the catalog in the Pictures library. By selecting Add, all you are doing is telling LR to put the image locations in the Catalog. It is for this reason that if you subsequently move or delete images, you should do so within LR so that the Catalog can track the changes.

On my main machine, which has a SSD from which the OS and applications run, I configure the Catalog to beld on that drive. in very rare circumstances, it can become corrupted so I configure LR to prompt for backup to be made every time I exit the application. i create a new backup every time I have added new images. The copy of the Catalog is held on my data drive, which I regularly backup to an external drive for added protection.

LR does not have any other functionality to manage the backups, so every so often I do a bit of housekeeping and delete the older copies. The files are not that large, so it is more a matter of keeping things tidy rather than freeing up disk space.

Iggy wrote:Should I proceed to attempt to load Lightroom on this laptop before I attend the Lightroom Tuition that you are kindly giving us on Tuesday?

That would be a prerequisite if you want to work through the examples with me as I demonstrate how I process images.
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Sun 10 Jun 2018, 18:32

Successfully loaded LR to my older HP laptop that has a DVD. Its already on my desktop. So that is a good start!
Haven't played with LR yet.
I haven't been to your home previously, so don't know the address.
I would hope to be there for the 9.30 am start.
Thanks for running this LR Tutorial,
Iggy

Return to “Outings & Events”