PAGB recent winners

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Paul Heester

PAGB recent winners

Postby Paul Heester » Wed 16 May 2018, 14:49

The PAGB had their recent judging, held at Chorley, for their Award for Photographic Merit (APM). You can see the entries via this PDF - http://pagb.cmail19.com/t/r-l-jydroty-dlhhdhpm-y/

Alot of these winning images are heavily worked with multiple composites. Personally, not my cup of tea but a rough guide as to what the judges currently like and may help those who would like to enter a future APM.
Iggy

Re: PAGB recent winners

Postby Iggy » Thu 17 May 2018, 11:02

Thanks Paul for posting.
Some images look like paintings!
For the composites, would the photographer have shot the horses and riders individually?
I wonder what Andrea Hargreaves MPAGB charges for a club lecture?
Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 18 May 2018, 07:44

I have not attended a PAGB APM session so I might be off beam here, but it is my understanding that images are scored within five seconds of being put on display. The consequence is inevitable, anything which lacks instant impact is not going to do well. There is no room for subtlety and a quiet, reflective shot is unlikely to get much consideration. Those images which someone has worked so hard on have their fate decided with a period of assessment which lasts around a minute.

There appears to be a style of image which tends to do well with the PAGB. I am not sure how it evolved, but the rapid assessment must surely be a factor. It becomes self perpetuating as entrants for awards will look to what has done well previously. Like Paul, I quickly become bored with photos which have been highly manipulated, having been buffed and polished to "perfection". There are other styles and approaches which do not get the recognition they perhaps deserve with the PAGB's system.

That is a shame, as talented photographers will be deterred. In a way, though, that applies to much camera club photography. How many judges do we see who lack the capability to appreciate images which do not fit in with their idea of what constitutes a good shot?
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Fri 18 May 2018, 23:32

Iggy wrote:I wonder what Andrea Hargreaves MPAGB charges for a club lecture?

A few years back the club had Ian Brash and Mike Bromley (who did another talk at the club earier this year) give an introduction to what is termed "creative photography".

They are both local (Old Coulsdon vs Yorkshire) and produce better work than those images by Andrea.
Rose

Postby Rose » Sat 19 May 2018, 14:44

I attended a PAGB advisory day a few years ago along with Tom, Ron and others from CCC. I have also had a 1:1 advisory session at the Photography Show. On both occasions I was told by Rod Wheelans that some of my images, although good, were too subtle for the PAGB judging process and would not do well for the reasons Mike mentions. The period of assessment is about 6 seconds... :shock:

The PAGB have come in for some criticism in recent years for an apparent liking of overly processed images, but when you look closer at all those who do pass at the various levels, there is a greater variety than you might suspect.
Rose

Return to “General”