Photo 24 competition winners

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
davidc

Photo 24 competition winners

Postby davidc » Thu 18 Jul 2013, 11:24

Just wanted to share some of the winning images from the Photo 24 event. Though unfortunately Paul & myself weren't lucky enough to win we've both had some images "favourited" by the organiser, Will Cheung, which is quite a compliment.

Best Street image - Gianluca Romeo. Which is a bit more special for me personally as he works for me ;)
I Love You Red and Blue by Gianluca 'el Fotógrafo' Romeo, on Flickr

Best Building
Millennium Bridge by perkster24, on Flickr

(Although it's a nice enough shot personally I think this is a little overprocessed and screams "Painterly" mode from Photomatix! I like HDR but not 100% sure about this one - still it seem to be a common theme for the photographer who took it. Still, a good effort.)

Best Action
SKateboard by bc@imageview, on Flickr

The skateboarders beneath Southbank are a bit of a photography cliche we have all tried at least once, I'm sure, but this is a decent shot. The processing in this case definitely gives it a grimy/street feel which compliments it well in my opinion.

Can't share best Samsung image, the photographer refuses to share. And I'm still annoyed they didn't show up where they said they would be, at the time they said to let others try the camera and give us our complimentary 16gb card.

Best portfolio

12pm by Lomomentum, on Flickr

I like this, good processing and a good street shot.

I like this one too although would have preferred the driver larger in the frame to see his expression
6am by Lomomentum, on Flickr

This one I think is very average - shots of people lighting cigarettes or staring at mobile phones are passe these days and, in my opinion, scaredy cat street photography because you know it's unlikely you will attract their attention while you take the photo.

5am by Lomomentum, on Flickr

Decent set of images but I thought there were stronger ones.

Best overall image.

winner.JPG
winner.JPG (62.88 KiB) Viewed 976 times

Not bad but far, far from the best in my opinion. Photographically it's not bad but it's very much a photographer's image in my opinion and not something that captured the mood & essence of the photo 24 event or the fact it was in London. In some respects it's very anonymous.

What do others think?
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Re: Photo 24 competition winners

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 18 Jul 2013, 13:05

davidc wrote:Best Street image - Gianluca Romeo. Which is a bit more special for me personally as he works for me ;)

There are some bosses who would not tolerate such outrageous behaviour from their subordinates! :mrgreen:

Seriously, congratulations to Gianluca. Did I meet him at the Heather Angel event run by AP last year?

davidc wrote:Just wanted to share some of the winning images from the Photo 24 event. Though unfortunately Paul & myself weren't lucky enough to win we've both had some images "favourited" by the organiser, Will Cheung, which is quite a compliment.

Well done also to both Paul and yourself in having some images shortlisted.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu 18 Jul 2013, 13:35

Yes he's the chap from the macro session.
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Thu 18 Jul 2013, 20:31

I share your sentiments David on the winning images. The best building shot is the weakest of the winners for me. Yes St Pauls is very photogenic but this photo doesnt show it off. Does a bridge count as a building??

The portfolio of 3 images is pretty good, with the tube driver being my favourite. The photographer obviously has some good street skills so catching the smoker unawares is the weakest shot.

I seem to remember from GianLuca's photostream he had other great steet images but this shot I also like.

I wonder if they would consider doing a photo24 on the shortest day of the year - 21 December. That would be interesting.

Return to “Photo Sharing”