Shot of the Week 2020

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Iggy

Shot of the Week 2020

Postby Iggy » Sun 29 Dec 2019, 12:31

With 2019 coming to a close, I am considering doing SOTW 2020.

I did find SOTW sometimes challenging and often had to force myself to go out to use my camera.
I found it useful too as I was able to experiment with the camera, sometimes just in my garden.
Considering everything, I did enjoy the challenge and glad that I kept going to the end.

I am hoping that several CCC members will take part in SOTW this year.
Why not make a start with SOTW and drop down to Shot of the Month (just 12 images) at any time?
Or just start with SOTM?

Wishing you all a Happy, Healthy & Prosperous New Year.
Iggy
Mike Farley

Re: Shot of the Week 2020

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 29 Dec 2019, 18:57

Iggy wrote:I did find SOTW sometimes challenging and often had to force myself to go out to use my camera.
I found it useful too as I was able to experiment with the camera, sometimes just in my garden.
Considering everything, I did enjoy the challenge and glad that I kept going to the end.

Firstly, congratulations on completing the year, a significant achievement.

Your reasons are among those which make a challenge to take photographs regularly so invaluable. It is not really about the subject matter or the quality of the results, although a worthwhile photo is always rewarding of course, but the practice of undertaking photography on a consistent basis. It encourages learning, the seeking of new styles/genres and the enhancement of skills. While I found it to be an intensive year and not for everyone, there is no doubt that I am still experiencing the benefits of my 365 project even though much time has elapsed since then.

Iggy wrote:I am hoping that several CCC members will take part in SOTW this year.
Why not make a start with SOTW and drop down to Shot of the Month (just 12 images) at any time?
Or just start with SOTM?

An excellent suggestion, Iggy. During 2019 I ended up doing a silent SOTW. My downfall was the decision to blog my results. I got just under four months in but was finding it a struggle to write articles about my selected images and fell behind with my efforts. Eventually, I gave up when the backlog became too great. While I continued to put on the forum anything which I thought was sufficiently interesting, I did not do so on a regular basis. However, it has now become routine to ensure that I pick up a camera at least once a week. There have been a one or two occasions when I have got to Sunday without having anything to show, so spent the afternoon doing some photography. Not only have there been some some pleasing results, but I have developed a new style of images which would not have happened otherwise. As I said, shooting at least once a week has become habitual and I intend to carry on. On that basis, I will endeavour to publish my images throughout 2020 but will forego the overhead of blogging.

Iggy wrote:Wishing you all a Happy, Healthy & Prosperous New Year.

Wishing you and all other members of the club the same for 2020.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 30 Dec 2019, 09:05

For those who prefer a set challenge each week rather than randomly deciding what to shoot, together with feedback on your efforts from the wider community of photographers, 52 Frames might be worth a look. It will almost certainly take you out of your comfort zone at some point, but creatively that could be a good thing. You will also get to see what others have made of that week's challenge which can be inspirational as well.

Here is the link: https://52frames.com

Fstoppers has some information about how it works: https://fstoppers.com/education/looking ... oto-438229
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Mon 30 Dec 2019, 23:46

Thanks Mike for your comments and support which are much appreciated.
Personally, I don't think that I am ready for 52 Frames with its set challenge each week, although feedback would be nice.
I am still helping out with our grand kids and then there are features for Croydon Advertiser to chase with images and write ups.
There is also a rush of CCC competition and exhibition images to think about, not to mention images for SLF and more!
Perhaps I could utilise some of 52 Frames Challenges within my CCC SOTW.
First Four are: Self Portrait, Leading Lines, Wabi Sabi & Fill the Frame and could easily start CCC SOTW with these challenges with no stress.
I suppose there is nothing to stop me entering 52 Frames with the same images. Once started, I just don't like giving up.
What are your comments?
Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 31 Dec 2019, 09:11

Set challenges do not suit my style of photography which tends to be more freeform. I prefer to go out and see what I can find, with some of my best shots occurring that way. There is a certain thrill when everything comes together which, for me, makes photography something of an adventure. What I have found is that going out, camera in hand with the intention of making photographs, usually it is possible to come back with something worthwhile. That said, some of the 52 Frames challenges look interesting and maybe would reward investigation, even if not during the week when they are set. There is also the option to take inspiration to see what others have achieved which the site also facilitates.

A project which has the purpose of creating images on a regular basis (be it day, week or month*), inevitably will be personal. Some might prefer the framework and support such as that offered by 52 Frames, but that is not obligatory. For me, as I said in an earlier post in this thread, perhaps the most important aspect is the incentive to create images. As Iggy says, it also has to fit in with the other things happening in life, which is why it is always a good idea to have a camera to hand. Opportunities exist everywhere and can occur unexpectedly. I am currently experimenting with a small camera fitted with a fast pancake lens which I can keep in a coat pocket for just such occasions.

* Not year, presumably. ;)
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Tue 31 Dec 2019, 18:17

I had a chance to take a closer look at 52 Frames and some of the 2019 submissions.
Each week attracted between 780 and over a 1000 entries.
Some entries received a few comments while a few had 10 or more.
The comments were generally one liners for likes.
I did not see any critique of images.
The photographer generally replied with a one liner.
The set challenges sometimes make photographers work outside their comfort zone.

I do not have time to look at 100s of other photographers images every week with comments that are not useful and so I am not joining 52 Frames.
I have decided to stick with the CCC SOTW in 2020 but will try to be more stringent with myself in getting images in on Sunday.
However, I may well start the four weeks of January with Self Portrait, Leading Lines, Wabi Sabi & Fill the Frame and go from there.

Hope other CCC photographers will challenge themselves with CCC SOTM or SOTW in 2020.

Happy New Year,
Iggy

Return to “Photo Sharing”