Autumn Colours

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Mike Farley

Autumn Colours

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 13 Nov 2019, 18:12

I do not venture into my local woods much these days, mainly due to a few anti-social dog walkers. The woods are a public amenity owned by Croydon Council and while most owners act responsibly, there are a significant number who consider the locale to be set aside purely for them. They make no effort to control their pets, some even glorying in their charges being a nuisance to others.

This afternoon, a brief glimmer of sun tempted me there. It was long gone by the time I had got to my chosen viewpoint but I was surprised by the unusually intense autumn colours. While the recent weather has been decidely disastrous for some, I do wonder if it is a factor and similar scenes are being repeated elsewhere.

The light was unobliging for this shot, but the colours of this tree stood out in the gloom.

Autumn.jpg
Autumn Colours
Autumn.jpg (82.93 KiB) Viewed 2104 times
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidb

Re: Autumn Colours

Postby davidb » Thu 14 Nov 2019, 06:28

Nice one Mike 8-)
Regards

David A Beard.
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Thu 14 Nov 2019, 23:22

Mike Farley wrote:I do wonder if it is a factor and similar scenes are being repeated elsewhere.

I visited Addington Hills last week and there were some lovely autumn colours on display.

It was around lunchtime and there were a few dog walkers, but mostly in the open areas rather than amongst the trees, so not much risk of being covered in muddy paws by the "it's ok he's friendly" dogs...
Laura

Postby Laura » Sun 17 Nov 2019, 16:22

Gorgeous photo, Mike! glad I looked 8-)
I struggle to take big pictures, but I love looking at some of them....
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 18 Nov 2019, 12:39

Thanks for everyone's comments. The funny thing is that I was not very happy with the original shot as I did not think that the light was doing me any favours. It was taken on a gloomy day at around the time that the sun was setting. Exposure was 1/60 @ f/5.6 ISO 5000. I went back in the morning a day or so later when it was sunny and got the shot below of the same tree, albeit a slightly different composition. Same camera and lens, this time 1/60 @ f/8, ISO 400. This time, it did not really stand out in the same way as it had done in the half light. There is something about those colours and the way that we perceive them in different conditions. Funny thing, light. Good when it is bad, bad when it is good ......

Tree revisited.jpg
Tree revisited.jpg (89.31 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “Photo Sharing”