Shot of the Week 2019 – Iggy – March

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Iggy

Shot of the Week 2019 – Iggy – March

Postby Iggy » Sun 03 Mar 2019, 20:05

SOTW 2019-Iggy-March S9
Orchid at Kew Gardens
Visited Kew Gardens as David Beard's guest.
Had a great day out.
Thank you David!

PS: With the Kew Orchid Celebration, the displays looked great, but the orchids were tightly packed.
Finding an orchid with leaves in a complementary position was hard.
Hence, I resorted to cutting out an orchid and placing it in a green background that matched one of the brighter leaf colours.
Attachments
9-Orchid at Kew2.jpg
9-Orchid at Kew2.jpg (86.45 KiB) Viewed 4845 times
Last edited by Iggy on Sat 23 Mar 2019, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
Iggy

Re: Shot of the Week 2019 – Iggy – March

Postby Iggy » Sun 10 Mar 2019, 19:36

SOTW 2019-Iggy-March S10
Swaying in the Gale.

Gale-force winds howling round our home woke me up this morning as a large black wheelly bin hurtled noisily down our avenue.
Looking into the garden at about 10 am, sunlight was fleetingly catching the blossom atop the goat willow (Salix caprea) that were doing a merry dance in the howling wind.
The gale also sent the clouds, gray and some white, dashing across the sky exposing some touches of blue from time to time.

I tried to capture movement as some blur in some of the blossom when sunlit & swaying in the wind.
Capturing all these elements together needed a fair few attempts over a couple of hours.

Luckily we were spared the rain, snow and even hailstones that the Liverpool v Burnley game had to put up with that I was watching today.
Attachments
S10-Swaying in the Gale.jpg
S10-Swaying in the Gale.jpg (147.31 KiB) Viewed 4828 times
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Thu 14 Mar 2019, 17:10

It was a windy day today, but whenever the wind dropped, blue tits and larger coal tits came to feed on the goat willow blossom.
Occasionally, a magpie also joined in the feast.
Iggy
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Sun 17 Mar 2019, 22:31

SOTW 2019-Iggy-March S11
Sunset After Burn at Pollards Hills Norbury

I was relying on some superb images from our visit to Millers Wood, but when that had to be postponed because of inclement weather, I was left with nothing new.

First inclination was to shoot a sunset that looked good from the road on my way home from Brockley. However, by the time I had parked the car and walked into Brenchley Gardens, the sun was too low to capture cleanly without the trees and houses. In any case there were not enough clouds to provide any glorious colours.

Then today Sunday evening at 5.50 pm, while watching Chelsea losing to Everton, I looked out and saw some glorious colours. I abandoned the football and dashed out to Pollards Hills Norbury.

Fortunately, when I got there I immediately took one shot of the sunset after burn before two huge red setters came bounding down the hill towards me barking loudly, taking little notice of their owners who were calling them to heel.

I am not scared of dogs, know that red setters are a little mad, and stood tall holding my ground which deterred the dogs from jumping on me. The dog owners came down to apologise and have a chat.

I should have photographed the dogs as they came towards me, but I didn’t react fast enough in that 10 seconds. In any case, light wasn’t good and those images would have been a blur.

In that 5 minutes of chatting, the main after burn was gone leaving less impressive lighted clouds!

Just outside this small park as I left, a robin was singing sweetly. I stopped and enjoyed the bird song for a minute or two. I got my camera out and was all set to attempt a photograph with flash when a car came along and frightened the robin away! I will have to visit that robin another evening!

At least I got my Shot Of The Week.
Attachments
S11-Sunset After Burn Pollards Hill.jpg
S11-Sunset After Burn Pollards Hill.jpg (41.58 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 18 Mar 2019, 08:10

Iggy wrote:The dog owners came down to apologise and have a chat.

You were fortunate. I encounter far too many dog owners who believe it is the other person's fault for being there.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Thu 21 Mar 2019, 20:24

I was fortunate that the red setters, taller than me on their hind legs, didn't jump on me after pelting down hill at speed as they would have knocked me over.
The owners were a 100 metres away and ineffectual and so I was totally on my own! Luckily it was me that the dogs were running at and not a child or an elderly person.
There are risks we have to take as photographers, sometimes from people that we are photographing.

Regarding my image, I have noticed that some judges at the club favour just a small section of the colourful sunset after burn as the image in competition.
Knowing this, I still decided to show some of the land with silhouettes that added texture to the image!
Possibly a distraction?

Comments Please.
Attachments
11a-Sunset After Burn Pollards Hill.jpg
11a-Sunset After Burn Pollards Hill.jpg (37.29 KiB) Viewed 4717 times
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Mon 25 Mar 2019, 23:34

SOTW 2019-Iggy-March S12
Smiling Crocodile

Visited London Zoo on Friday, courtesy of David Beard.
Thank you David!
Had a great day out, even though it was cloudy and temperatures stayed well below the promised 15oC.
We spent a long time in the Reptile section chasing the 4-metre-long king cobra, lizards galore, swimming turtles and a few crocodiles too.

I rather like the “smile” on this crocodile's face!
Attachments
S12-Smiling Crocodile.jpg
S12-Smiling Crocodile.jpg (165.43 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 26 Mar 2019, 08:14

Iggy wrote:...... even though it was cloudy and temperatures stayed well below the promised 15oC.

I never cease to be amazed at how often the weather gets it wrong. ;)

Iggy wrote:I rather like the “smile” on this crocodile's face!

Just don't smile back. :cry:

https://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/peterpa ... codile.htm
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Laura

Postby Laura » Tue 26 Mar 2019, 10:06

Iggy wrote:SOTW 2019-Iggy-March S9
Orchid at Kew Gardens
Visited Kew Gardens as David Beard's guest.
Had a great day out.
Thank you David!

PS: With the Kew Orchid Celebration, the displays looked great, but the orchids were tightly packed.
Finding an orchid with leaves in a complementary position was hard.
Hence, I resorted to cutting out an orchid and placing it in a green background that matched one of the brighter leaf colours.

Hi Iggy, you did very well with this orchid, i went too and found it really hard - as you said, always crowded and busy backgrounds.
A great day out nevertheless!
Laura

Postby Laura » Tue 26 Mar 2019, 10:09

Iggy wrote:I was fortunate that the red setters, taller than me on their hind legs, didn't jump on me after pelting down hill at speed as they would have knocked me over.
The owners were a 100 metres away and ineffectual and so I was totally on my own! Luckily it was me that the dogs were running at and not a child or an elderly person.
There are risks we have to take as photographers, sometimes from people that we are photographing.

Regarding my image, I have noticed that some judges at the club favour just a small section of the colourful sunset after burn as the image in competition.
Knowing this, I still decided to show some of the land with silhouettes that added texture to the image!
Possibly a distraction?

Comments Please.

I love detail, so I am really enjoying your second version of this shot, Iggy. It makes it a very personal choice then, and not what everyone who was there would have seen. Gorgeous colours.

Return to “Photo Sharing”