Little Egret

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Mike Farley

Little Egret

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 15 Dec 2018, 19:13

I went to Sevenoaks Nature Reserve yesterday, although it was a bit of a wash. Photographically, at least. I enjoyed the outing, albeit conditions were on the chilly side. Even with a setup equivalent to around 850 mm focal length on full frame, most of the action was too distant to capture. The most interesting bird which I saw was a Little Egret. It was there when I arrived but flew away shortly afterwards. I did see it again later on but it was much further away. This was the best pose I got and had to include the Greylag Geese as I did not have enough space or lens power to separate them from the main subject. There was some good light as the sun set but I could not take advantage of it as there was nothing worthwhile to shoot.

If anyone thinks high quality nature photography is easy, I beg to differ.

Little Egret.jpg
Little egret and greylag geese
Little Egret.jpg (77.16 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Bett

Re: Little Egret

Postby Bett » Sun 16 Dec 2018, 10:14

Hi Mike
Nice image of the Little Egret,
I agree with your comment on high quality nature photography not being easy but Im a glutton for punishment .
Compsec

Postby Compsec » Sun 16 Dec 2018, 22:34

There are a pair of these (or something similar) which have been in Carshalton Ponds for over a month. I see one or the other most mornings going to work and they are used to the human traffic & don't run away.
Franke07

Postby Franke07 » Tue 18 Dec 2018, 13:37

Bett wrote:Hi Mike
Nice image of the Little Egret,
I agree with your comment on high quality nature photography not being easy but I'm a glutton for punishment .

Having had a go at capturing these winged wonders, I too have to echo the same sentiment! I can therefore appreciate the patience and skill that goes into capturing these wonderful creatures; however Bett you must have both in abundance the number and quality of your pictures of our winged friends are inspirational and David B's are not far behind, they have seriously made me want to get out again and capture my own.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 19 Dec 2018, 21:43

Bett wrote:Nice image of the Little Egret,

Thanks, Best. I had another shot where the egret's beak was in the water which worked well with the reflection, but there were some feathers missing from the back of its neck. It looked a bit unsightly although I suppose I could have edited it even if it does go against the spirit of showing the truth of what was there.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “Photo Sharing”