Smartphone Pics

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Franke07

Re: Smartphone Pics

Postby Franke07 » Wed 05 Dec 2018, 12:07

Iggy wrote:Hi Frank,
To pass the time while looking after the 3 year old grandson, I had a play with my cheap Samsung J3 mobile.
Here are some abstracts created this afternoon.
Original diffuse shadow was caused by light reflected from a neighbour's window pane on to a white bedroom wall in daughter's home.
Grandson would not lend his shadow to make the creation my own.
So I ended up by precariously balancing a small electric fan with one hand and shooting Images with the mobile with the other hand.
Short processing on last image to add some drama.
Nil points in club competition!

Feel free to comment.

Hi Iggy, like our main cameras we have to spend time getting to know the limitations and strengths of the smartphone cameras. Depending on what version of Android your phone is running you can make some adjustments to help improve image capture. As Mike said it is a matter of trial and error, keep shooting its all good practice.
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Thu 06 Dec 2018, 16:51

I was upstairs again yesterday at my daughter's home when I saw the double rainbow through the closed window.
Shot through the glass as window was locked. Only had my mobile and rainbow soon disappeared in the changeable windy weather.
Not aware of what adjustments are available on the Samsung J3.
So downloaded the image today, cropped and then increased saturation in Photoshop to enhance colours all round.
However lost the grayness of the foreboding cloudy sky. So brought the gray back in Curves.
Just trial and error!

Wonder what delights that window will offer tomorrow!
Attachments
1-Mobile Rainbow.jpg
1-Mobile Rainbow.jpg (65.2 KiB) Viewed 2382 times
1a-Mobile Rainbow Foreboding Sky.jpg
1a-Mobile Rainbow Foreboding Sky.jpg (57.39 KiB) Viewed 2382 times
Franke07

Postby Franke07 » Thu 06 Dec 2018, 18:03

Iggy wrote:Not aware of what adjustments are available on the Samsung J3.

Hi Iggy, there are some adjustments that can be made https://ss7.vzw.com/is/content/VerizonW ... df#page=56. this is a link for the J3 user hand book.

You may want to try Open Camera, this is an app available from the Playstore this will give you some addition control of the camera.

Good to see you are still experimenting with the SP, a double rainbow , good capture! I know this isn't the critique forum and please don't take this as such I noticed you said you had cropped the image - this is just a suggestion on a further crop and a little cloning to tidy up.

Hope this helps - Seems this window is presenting you with images to capture, you could do a small project called Rear window :)

file.jpg
file.jpg (93.84 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Thu 06 Dec 2018, 22:22

Hi Frank,
Your crop does focus the eye on the rainbow. Thanks.

Having a few problems with the J3. More than a year ago, I did install an additional 32 GB card but am not able to save image folders there, nor was the Three agent in the shop able to help me. So running out of space on the Sim card!!
Do you know how to get the card functional?

For the moment, rather than learn new tricks on the mobile, I am happy enough to process them on my AIO Desktop.
That could change if I have access to my 32 GB card in my mobile.

I am happy to take advice.
Regards,
Iggy
Franke07

Postby Franke07 » Fri 07 Dec 2018, 18:11

Iggy wrote:Having a few problems with the J3. More than a year ago, I did install an additional 32 GB card but am not able to save image folders there, nor was the Three agent in the shop able to help me. So running out of space on the Sim card!!
Do you know how to get the card functional?

Hi Iggy, it all depends if the card is a Samsung compatible card. Its been awhile since I used a Samsung but it should have a my files app this will show you where your files are stored and how much space is used and remaining.

I can have look at it for you on Weds. The other option is to use Googles free backup service which stores your files in the cloud and you can then access them anywhere (you will need a network/internet connection) from any device, you can then delete them from the phone and free up space on the phone.

Hope this helps

BW

Frank
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Sat 08 Dec 2018, 11:26

Hi Frank,
From the Storage icon, I am able to see my 8GB Sim card almost full of System Memory and Applications, with Pictures taking up just 233MB.
Also, able to see the 32GB SD card empty with 29GB space available. Hence, I presume that the SD card is compatible with the Samsung J3 mobile.

What I would like to do is make the SD card my automatic image storage area.
Possibly also have the SD card set up with some applications to process images.
I will check the net to see if these options are available.
Franke07

Postby Franke07 » Sat 08 Dec 2018, 11:42

Hi Iggy,
While some apps don't mind being on the external SD card you will find quite a few of the preinstalled apps won't move across. You will have more success with ones you have installed. If you go to Samsung site you should find the information on moving these

All the best
Franke07

Postby Franke07 » Sat 08 Dec 2018, 11:48

I should have also said the 8Gb is not SIM storage, it's the area the phone uses to load information into for processing it's a temporary memory not storage.
Franke07

Postby Franke07 » Sat 08 Dec 2018, 11:59

Oops just reread your post sorry my bad! It is system storage but it's not on your SIM, it's built into the phone.
First phone I have come across with such a low amount of storage. Normally 16, 32, 64, 128Gb
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Sat 08 Dec 2018, 17:38

The Samsung Galaxy J3 comes with either 1.5G or 2GB memory and 8GB internal storage, and comes with two micro SIM slots. The second SIM slot doubles as a a micro SD slot - but they just happen to share a slot - SIM and SD are two different things.

SIM cards are for identifying the device to the mobile network - they are not for storage.
(They do have a few KB available for storing contacts, but this is not automatic and rarely used these days.)

Also, a couple more definitions for clarity:
Memory is a temporary space for currently running applications - turning off the device resets this (though some applications will use it as soon as it comes back on).
Internal storage is persistant storage, used to store all applications, data, images, video, etc. It remains when the phone is turned off. (It can be thought of like a non-removable SD card, though it usually uses different technology.)
(For a desktop or laptop computer, the terms RAM and hard disk drive are often used for memory and internal storage respectively.)
Also, some people incorrectly use terms "internal memory" or "external memory" to refer to internal storage and extend storage (SD cards).

For putting your pictures on your SD card, there are likely two steps needed: The first is to configure the storage location of the camera software to use the SD card - that will cause new images to be saved on the SD card, but existing ones will stay on the internal storage. The second step is thus to use a file manager application to move across those existing images to the same location.
Note that you want to move the image data (which may be a folder called Pictures), and not the application (which may or not also be called Pictures).

Return to “Photo Sharing”