Smartphone Pics

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Iggy

Re: Smartphone Pics

Postby Iggy » Sat 08 Dec 2018, 18:39

Hi Peter & Frank,
Thanks.
I was able to move images from the 8GB internal storage to the 32GB SD card.
This model only has 1 Sim Card.
Discovered by accident several shooting modes on the mobile that I have yet to use.
I will need to figure out how to get images to be stored directly on 32GB SD Card.

On Friday at daughter's home, could not see anything outside the window that grabbed my interest.
So looked for something inside starting with an uninspired "Bottles on a window sill" shot at a different window.
Then put together "Antiques". (2 tone colour caused by shooting in a corner).

Rushed some processing on PS6 on computer just now. So just rough & ready.

Comments welcome.
Attachments
5XS-Bottles on a window ledge-1.jpg
5XS-Bottles on a window ledge-1.jpg (77.73 KiB) Viewed 1892 times
5XSY-Antiques-3.jpg
5XSY-Antiques-3.jpg (53.16 KiB) Viewed 1892 times
Franke07

Postby Franke07 » Mon 10 Dec 2018, 15:32

Hi Iggy,
I would be inclined to play around with the composition, the lamp and the cut crystal look like interesting items in their right (shoot these on their own).

I have a couple of ideas for the plastic bottles , the easiest being just using 3 of them introduce a little food dye varying the amount of water so the differing liquid levels add another point of interest . Strong side lighting.

Hope this is of some help!

BW

Frank
GrahamL

Postby GrahamL » Mon 10 Dec 2018, 19:25

I wouldn't dismiss mobile phone use either. As well as a very handy method of recording items or detail from events they can be used to produce shots that are otherwise a little tricky. Particularly when traveling. For instance this shot of Chelsea supporters on there way to a morning match on the train I was traveling on a week ago. It was a very fleeting shot.
Sat-crowd_20181202_D-1k.jpg
Sat-crowd_20181202_D-1k.jpg (164.73 KiB) Viewed 1889 times

Similarly if you see an interesting or unusual happening and don't have a camera handy as previously noted the more recent phones have quite decent performance. Like this shot of a sudden downpour at East Croydon last month:
East_Croydon_20181112_D-1k.jpg
East_Croydon_20181112_D-1k.jpg (226.76 KiB) Viewed 1889 times

I think their main limitation is dynamic range and the amazing but small sensors hosted don't really cope that well when it's a very dark scene. But if the phone lets you use exposure compensation and the subject has the right lighting and contrast the results can be very acceptable:
Paris_20181110_D-1k.jpg
Paris_20181110_D-1k.jpg (161.51 KiB) Viewed 1889 times

The shot was taken in Paris last month.

Their main irritation for me is the very high degree of automated intelligence now put into mobile phone camera control. I had my old Samsung S6 phone stolen in the summer and moved to an Huawei P20 pro. It has three different lenses, but there's not much clue in the controls as to which one, or combination of (it has an hybrid zoom that combines the signal from two lenses), that you're using.

Can get some good results nonetheless.
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Sat 15 Dec 2018, 11:23

Graham said: I wouldn't dismiss mobile phone use either.

Hi Graham,
Good to see you at the CCC Wednesday last after being away for a month or two!

Like your Croydon Downpour!

Regards,
Iggy
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Mon 17 Dec 2018, 12:55

Frank said: I would be inclined to play around with the composition, the lamp and the cut crystal look like interesting items in their right

Thanks Frank for the suggestions.
I will probably try these out in the New Year.
For example I will probably try the crystal jug in combination with a crystal glass as I prefer landscape formats.
Also, maybe multiple shots of the lamp with lamp head in different positions. and better locations too rather than a dark corner where those were shot.

However, if I am going to spend more time and effort on these images, perhaps I should be shooting with my Canon 70D or my Lumix FZ1000 rather than my Panasonic J3 mobile??!!

In the meantime, here is another grab shot "Reflections" on my mobile lit by a LED chandelier at night followed by a little bit of tiding up in Photoshop on my Laptop at home.

Iggy
Attachments
5XsP-Door Reflections-1.jpg
5XsP-Door Reflections-1.jpg (50.89 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Mon 24 Dec 2018, 18:00

I was looking to capture something different in terms of Christmas atmosphere indoors with my mobile phone.
An unusual Christmas Card arrived that lent itself to some manipulation.
Some stand-up figures were bent out of the way to try and capture the whole front and back scenes with depth of field.
Shot under natural daylight, followed by some PS6 activity too.
I will use the images to post my Christmas Greetings on the General Forum
Attachments
8XAA-Christmas Sleigh.jpg
8XAA-Christmas Sleigh.jpg (74.43 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
8XBB- Christmas Sleigh.jpg
8XBB- Christmas Sleigh.jpg (69.95 KiB) Viewed 1640 times

Return to “Photo Sharing”