The Club's Hon. Auditor

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Mike Farley

The Club's Hon. Auditor

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 20 Jul 2018, 11:52

There are two justifications for sharing this shot of our Hon. Auditor.

The first is that the post is one of the positions which we will be electing at the AGM in September. While I have known our Hon. Auditor all his life, very few others in the club will have met him.

The other reason is the lens I used, which is a Nikkor-P Pre-AI 105 f/2.5, the manufacturer being Nippon Kogaku which calls itself Nikon nowadays. I shot the lens wide open at f/2.5 with it mounted on a Fuji X-E2. Depth of field is very narrow at that aperture and while his face is sharp, his t-shirt is going out of focus.

The Nikon 105 is renowned as being the optic which Steve McCurry used when he took his well known "Afghan Girl" shot but this is not the same lens. It is a Sonnar based design consisting of 5 elements in three groups and dates back to the late 1940s when it was originally used for Nikon's rangefinder cameras. The lens was recomputed when Nikon introduced the Nikon F SLR. Based on its serial number, I estimate that my copy is around 55 years old. Around 1971-2 Nikon updated the design to be four elements in five groups and that remained unchanged until the lens was discontinued. It was the later version which Steve McCurry made famous.

Now, a question for you. I do not normally talk about equipment but adapting older lenses is one of the things which interests me. Is it something which you would like to have more of?

Nick.jpg
Nick
Nick.jpg (93.21 KiB) Viewed 905 times
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “Photo Sharing”