PAD 60 - Moving

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Mike Farley

PAD 60 - Moving

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 02 Mar 2013, 19:47

Day 60 and something of a surprise, as this is not the image which I had originally intended to post. I was not entirely happy with my initial selection, but had forgotten that I had some other images which I had not downloaded from the camera. While waiting for a bus, I decided to while away the time to try panning, which I have not previously attempted.

Panasonic DMC-G3
Lumix G Vario 14-45
Focal length 22 mm (44 mm @ 35 mm equivalent)
1/15 sec
f/7.1
ISO 160
Attachments
Moving.jpg
Moving
Moving.jpg (143.53 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Re: PAD 60 - Moving

Postby davidc » Sat 02 Mar 2013, 20:27

Good effort. Interesting how different parts of the scene are at varying levels of sharpness - that might sound worse than I meant but in a panning shot sharpness throughout isn't really guaranteed and in my opinion not necessary to capture the essence of the scene.

So what I mean is the car bonnet shows motion blur but faces are recognisable despite the movement and the little radio aerial is sharp! That's what I find most interesting about it.

If that makes sense?
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 02 Mar 2013, 23:16

davidc wrote:Good effort. Interesting how different parts of the scene are at varying levels of sharpness - that might sound worse than I meant but in a panning shot sharpness throughout isn't really guaranteed and in my opinion not necessary to capture the essence of the scene.

So what I mean is the car bonnet shows motion blur but faces are recognisable despite the movement and the little radio aerial is sharp! That's what I find most interesting about it.

If that makes sense?

Thanks for the comments, which certainly do make sense. And yes, it was the fact that only part of the car was sharp was what attracted me to this particular image.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Sun 03 Mar 2013, 00:45

I've tried panning shots on one or two occasions and each time the end image was barely recognisable, let alone as sharp as sections of the car is. I think more practice is called for!
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 03 Mar 2013, 09:18

davidc wrote:I've tried panning shots on one or two occasions and each time the end image was barely recognisable, let alone as sharp as sections of the car is. I think more practice is called for!

Most of my efforts did not work out either, but I reckon that's just what happens with this type of shot. In some ways, being so close to the cars did not help either as it was very difficult to get a whole vehicle in the shot. On the other hand, I think that might also be the reason why only the central part of the car in my shot is sharp. That is where I was focussing and most of the movement relative to the camera was at either end.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Photo Sharing”