Banded Demoiselle?

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Mike Farley

Banded Demoiselle?

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 19 Jun 2018, 12:20

I came across this insect the other day, not knowing what it was at the time. If my interweb research is correct, I believe that it is a male Banded Demoiselle damselfly.
Attachments
Banded Demoiselle.jpg
Banded Demoiselle
Banded Demoiselle.jpg (86.2 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidb

Re: Banded Demoiselle?

Postby davidb » Tue 19 Jun 2018, 14:15

Mike

Yes, I think your identification is right. I would have been easier with wings spread but the distinctive shading on the wings was a great help. Where was it taken?
Regards

David A Beard.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 19 Jun 2018, 16:44

davidb wrote:Yes, I think your identification is right.

Thanks for the confirmation. If it is not a Banded Demoiselle, I am not sure there is anything else native to the UK which it could be.

davidb wrote:I would have been easier with wings spread .........

From a photographic point of view, I would have liked to have seen the wings spread as well. Unfortunately, it was either resting or flying around, so not much opportunity.

davidb wrote:Where was it taken?

Sculpture By The Lakes in Dorset. I did not take many photos of the sculptures as I was more interested in the insect life. I need a shot for the "Close Encounters" round of the APOY competition and the closing date is the end of this week. I am not sure that this image makes the grade, though.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidb

Postby davidb » Tue 19 Jun 2018, 18:38

Good luck with APOY.
Regards

David A Beard.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 22 Jun 2018, 15:04

davidb wrote:Good luck with APOY.

Thanks, David. The "Close Encounters" APOY round is a tricky one for me as macro/close-up photography is not something which I do much of. I have been taking every opportunity which I can find to add new shots and improve my chances, but in the end I went with something I took last year.

I am writing a series of blog articles about my experiences and published the first of these on my website earlier this week. The idea is that they should coincide with the publication of the results in the magazine, although I was a bit delayed in getting the first one out.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Photo Sharing”