Snowdrops at Compton Valence

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 07 Feb 2018, 18:37

Compton Valence in Dorset is famed for its annual display of snowdrops. It dates from many years ago when a former resident planted thousands of bulbs in the banks around the village. There is no other location of which I know where it is possible to see so many snowdrops in one place. I was a bit late getting there as the flowers are getting past their best and the official end date is in a couple of days time. I have tidied the shot up a bit, but there is still more to be done, principally around the edges. Technical details are below the image.

Snowdrops at Compton Valence.jpg
Snowdrops at Compton Valence.jpg (79.58 KiB) Viewed 1450 times

The shot was handheld and the camera was a Fuji X-E2. Exposure was 1/500 @ f/2.8, ISO 250. The lens is a 58mm Helios 44M which would have started off its days on the front of a Zenit SLR. The Russians manufactured millions and at the time they were one of the cheapest ways into photography. The lenses are still relatively cheap today, although prices are rising. Mine cost £23.

Shooting handheld with a manual focus lens was not ideal. Either a tripod or an AF lens with image stabilisation would have been better. So why that lens? The answer is simple. Despite its provenance, the Helios 44 has a cult following. It is based on the Carl Zeiss Biotar which dates from 1928, which the Soviets obtained as war reparations. The old Carl Zeiss factory was in Jena, which ended up in East Germany at the end of WWII.

Anyone who is at all serious about using adapted lenses will have at least one in their camera bag. The reason for owning several is that over the years, the design went through many variations which render in slightly different ways. The lens is renowned for out of focus areas (bokeh) which are swirly due to aberrations and the 44-2 version is supposedly the best one for the effect. That rendering is what I was after, although it is more apparent on a full frame sensor and I did not really succeed with this effort. I still like the result, though.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Paul Heester

Re: Snowdrops at Compton Valence

Postby Paul Heester » Fri 09 Feb 2018, 13:46

Thanks for sharing Mike, I like this shot and central composition works really well. You've reminded me to dust off my own Helios 44, I used it for bluebells a few years back and its been in hiding every since.
Mike Farley

Re: Snowdrops at Compton Valence

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 09 Feb 2018, 16:44

Paul Heester wrote:Thanks for sharing Mike, I like this shot and central composition works really well. You've reminded me to dust off my own Helios 44, I used it for bluebells a few years back and its been in hiding every since.

Thanks for the feedback, Paul.

As you already have a Helios 44, they are definitely worth experimenting with. You will need an adapter. The ones I mainly use use are produced by K & F Concept and are popular with adapted lens enthusiasts. They are are well made, tolerances being crucial, inexpensive and widely available. Most mounts and camera bodies are supported, although some of the more exotic lenses will require an alternative solution. The ubiquitous M42 mount of the Helios is OK, of course.

https://www.kentfaith.com/lens-mount-adapters

Mirrorless cameras are best for focussing, being the primary reason why the price of older manual focus lenses has been climbing in the past few years. Alternatively, there is the option of live view when using a DSLR.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “Photo Sharing”