Beneath the Clock

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Mike Farley

Beneath the Clock

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 20 Jan 2018, 19:05

I "cheated" a bit with this photo taken at Charing Cross railway station during a trip to London yesterday inasmuch that it is not quite the straight shot which it purports. I was intrigued by the clock but quickly worked out that it would not make a succesful image on its own. It needed something else and as I walked past I spotted this woman texting, sitting in just the right place. Moments after taking this, she was gone. Candid street photography often does not allow second chances. Wanting to ensure that both the main subjects, woman and clock, were in focus, I had set the aperture to f/8. Unfortunately, that meant everything else was sharp as well. Processing the Raw file in Lightroom, using a Radial Filter I protected the two main areas and reduced the Clarity and Sharpness of everything else. The background is sufficiently blurred that is does not distract but still provides context.

Another issue I encountered was that I wanted to crop both sides but did not have enough space at top and bottom to do so without making the shot look too thin. In Photoshop CC, I utilised the Content Aware Scale tool to compress the vertical perspective. It is not something which I have used previously but it works surprisingly well. What could have taken hours was accomplished in seconds. To finish, I applied the crop and mono conversion was in Silver Efex Pro 2.

Beneath the Clock.jpg
Beneath the Clock
Beneath the Clock.jpg (92.88 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Iggy

Re: Beneath the Clock

Postby Iggy » Mon 22 Jan 2018, 11:33

Hi Mike,
Your processing in Raw etc worked really well.
What was A1's assessment for before and after?
I hope to download my LightRoom from CD sometime but other CCC stuff is taking so much time!
Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 22 Jan 2018, 18:22

Thanks for your comments, Iggy.
Iggy wrote:What was A1's assessment for before and after?
A1?
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Tue 23 Jan 2018, 16:32

I meant Google AI assessment system for before and after manipulation of images.
Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 23 Jan 2018, 16:42

Google's aesthetic evaluation system is called NIMA and, so far as I know, has not yet been let loose on the great unwashed.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Photo Sharing”