Local landscape

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Rose

Local landscape

Postby Rose » Sun 19 Mar 2017, 14:47

I took the scenic route home from the DIY store in Glastonbury this morning
Mainly because I am the proud owner of a shiny new Canon 5D MKiv and I haven't managed to get out of the house since it was delivered 2 days ago ! :)

Sheep may safely graze (S).jpg
Sheep may safely graze (S).jpg (268.76 KiB) Viewed 2005 times

Drain (S).jpg
Drain (S).jpg (388.08 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
Rose
Mike Farley

Re: Local landscape

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 20 Mar 2017, 09:41

Rose wrote:Mainly because I am the proud owner of a shiny new Canon 5D MKiv and I haven't managed to get out of the house since it was delivered 2 days ago ! :)

Congratulations on the new purchase. Someone has come into money. ;)

Was it another purchase from Hdew? Their price seems to be much lower than anyone else's.

How do you find the Mk IV in comparison to the Mk III? While outwardly it looks similar to its predecessors, I would expect there to be a number of incremental improvements. The biggest change, though, has to be the adoption of Canon's latest sensor technology with improved dynamic range and noise performance.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
toms

Postby toms » Mon 20 Mar 2017, 10:02

Hi Rose,

Nice images. Like Mike, congratulations on your new toy.

I'm thinking of upgrading to the MkIII and was similarly wondering what advantage there is in the MkIV as reports that I've read seem to say that there is very little difference for normal use.

Regards,

Tom
Rose

Postby Rose » Mon 20 Mar 2017, 17:34

Yes, I got it from HDew, they are still cheaper than anyone else.

Don't believe people when they say the mkiv is not a significant step up from the mkiii. I can already see that it focuses faster, more accurately, has better DR, less noise at high ISO, gives me 61 point AF at f/8 at the long end of my 100-400 mkii, even with the 1.4x, the touch screen makes operating menu functions quicker and I can easily move around a magnified image on the LCD. You can use the touch screen to focus in live view mode. Canon have also added an new exposure compensation button. The level of customisation possible on the mkiv has been increased, which is its best feature I think.

One of the best custom features - I now have three different, instantly interchangeable shooting modes using the shutter, AF-ON and * buttons, which are set up as follows:

Shutter button: Metering and AF start, one shot
AF-ON: Metering and AF start, AI Servo
* button: Metering and AF start, AI Servo

The key is the ability to programme a detail set for the AF-On and * buttons. This enables you to select a specific AF start position, AI case, and AF area for each of the back button AI Servo modes. At the moment I have chosen to set mine up this way:

AF-ON: AF start - manually select point, AI Servo - case 1, Zone AF
* button: AF start- manually select point, AI Servo - case 2 and TS -2, Auto selection AF

The result is three instantly interchangeable focussing and metering modes. I can use the shutter in one shot mode for still subjects; then instantly switch to one of the back button AI Servo modes for moving subjects. Providing you keep your thumb on the back button of course, pressing the shutter doesn't then override focus.

There's a really useful tutorial on YouTube that explains it in detail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_R77Gs8Q6E&t=1s

This is after just 48 hours with the camera ! As I get to know it better I'm sure I will learn more ways to use it to my advantage.
Rose

Return to “Photo Sharing”