David's Project 365

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
davidc

#217 - 10 Stopped

Postby davidc » Tue 06 Aug 2013, 21:37

This was an experimental shot - I've created my own 10 stop ND filter and wanted to capture the motion in the wheel and the clouds. Though I've not quite achieved what I want it's certainly been educational and I'll definitely been trying the technique out more.

Even though it needed cleaning up in photoshop but it's still got a film-style look I quite like.

10 Stopped - 217/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Re: David's Project 365

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 07 Aug 2013, 00:04

I enjoy the contrast between the blurred movement of the wheel and the sharpness of its surroundings. I am less enamoured of the yellow colour cast, though, it looks odd rather than retro. Did you try a mono version?
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Postby davidc » Wed 07 Aug 2013, 11:01

The 10 stop filter is actually homemade from welding glass :) To dip my toes into the long exposure waters (I'm guessing they feel like cotton wool), I took a £1.20 77mm adaptor ring and a £1.20 piece of 10 stop welding glass and superglued the two together. After making sure it was set for several days I noticed the vapours from the glue had set across residues on the glass, left there by my fingers I presume, so I then cleaned the glass using ethanol (nail varnish remover).

The glass itself has a really strong green tint as evidenced in this shot, essentially a SOOC raw conversion with no other tweaks at all

IMG_8985.jpg
(1.57 MiB) Not downloaded yet

Coupled with most of the scene being blue, blue+green = yellow tinge. While I don't think it's THAT intrusive (no different to what different film would give) I do want to experiment setting a custom WB beforehand to try to minimise it further.

Failing that I'll convert to mono - which I tried for this shot but it didn't suit it, insufficient contrast and it was just a blur of mid-tones.

I know the shot isn't stunning (though the online viewers seem to like it!) but as an experiment that saved me £146 on a 10 stop ND filter I'm pleased with the outcome :)
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#218 - Waspish

Postby davidc » Wed 07 Aug 2013, 22:01

I've never tried focus stacking so many images so carefully before and I'm really pleased with the outcome :)

Waspish - 218/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 08 Aug 2013, 00:03

davidc wrote:The 10 stop filter is actually homemade from welding glass :) To dip my toes into the long exposure waters (I'm guessing they feel like cotton wool), I took a £1.20 77mm adaptor ring and a £1.20 piece of 10 stop welding glass and superglued the two together. After making sure it was set for several days I noticed the vapours from the glue had set across residues on the glass, left there by my fingers I presume, so I then cleaned the glass using ethanol (nail varnish remover).

The glass itself has a really strong green tint as evidenced in this shot, essentially a SOOC raw conversion with no other tweaks at all

IMG_8985.jpg

Coupled with most of the scene being blue, blue+green = yellow tinge. While I don't think it's THAT intrusive (no different to what different film would give) I do want to experiment setting a custom WB beforehand to try to minimise it further.

Failing that I'll convert to mono - which I tried for this shot but it didn't suit it, insufficient contrast and it was just a blur of mid-tones.

I know the shot isn't stunning (though the online viewers seem to like it!) but as an experiment that saved me £146 on a 10 stop ND filter I'm pleased with the outcome :)

Even "proper" 10x ND filters create colour casts and I have seen a definite blue tinge with my Lee Big Stopper and have seen reports of others getting a pink cast. Nothing approaching the severity of the colour shifts which you showed in your SOOC shot, though.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu 08 Aug 2013, 08:12

Yes I'd read about the colour casts on the more expensive options too. Still I figured a £1.20 experiment made more sense than a £150 experiment, especially when a custom WB or mono conversion can fix it. I'd expected the welding glass to have imperfections in so I even bought three - 1 was scratched, 1 had a tiny air bubble near the bottom and the third was perfectly fine. Quite pleased with my purchase and DIY skills :)
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 08 Aug 2013, 08:31

davidc wrote:Yes I'd read about the colour casts on the more expensive options too. Still I figured a £1.20 experiment made more sense than a £150 experiment, especially when a custom WB or mono conversion can fix it. I'd expected the welding glass to have imperfections in so I even bought three - 1 was scratched, 1 had a tiny air bubble near the bottom and the third was perfectly fine. Quite pleased with my purchase and DIY skills :)

The opportunities and suitable subjects for using a ND fiter are fairly limited, especially as it involves a tripod. Provided you can overcome the colour cast issues (and I am still not convinced about your London Eye image) or opt to shoot in mono, welding glass looks like a cost effective way to go. Thanks for the tip.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu 08 Aug 2013, 11:09

I'm not sure what you are not sure about :)

This was a relatively quick processing by letting ACR do the best it could automatically, (basically as much correction as it could) followed by perspective correction, noise reduction & sharpening. Aside from the abortive B&W check, it was more of an experiment into the technique than completely fixing the flaws inherent in using long exposure ND filters. I certainly don't mind using a tripod, in this case my gorillapod :)

Basically, it's proven I can use the welding glass as an adequate substitute for something 100 times the price and with more focus on PP/custom WB (or just plan for a monochrome scene from the outset) I think the glass and the technique has a lot of potential.

30 secs exposure at midday definitely opens up options!
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 08 Aug 2013, 12:37

davidc wrote:I'm not sure what you are not sure about :)

I am not sure what you are not sure about what I am not sure about! :)

I have seen the use of welding glass as a ND filter advocated elsewhere, so I share your confidence that the WB issue can be sorted out. And yes, it does open up options.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

#219 - Moreish

Postby davidc » Thu 08 Aug 2013, 22:01

A very slow photography day...

Still, with my macro head on, even treats are targets. I wish I had more time & inspiration.

Moreish - 219/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here

Return to “Photo Sharing”