David's Project 365

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Mike Farley

Re: David's Project 365

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 27 Aug 2013, 12:52

davidc wrote:Well, back from holiday now and with a ton of pictures to process and upload. Expect a deluge... which considering the crappy weather we had in Scotland is rather apt :(

I am a bit uncertain as to which comparison with the weather you are making. ;)

A few years ago when I was thinking about going to Scotland, my Scottish colleagues counselled against taking the risk with the weather for my main holiday. That said, there have been many times when I was in Edinburgh when the climatic conditions were better there than in the South. And then there were those occasions when it definitely wasn't!
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Postby davidc » Tue 27 Aug 2013, 14:08

Frustratingly, the weather was often OK for holiday purposes but rubbish for photography - e.g. we took a rain soaked drive down the glen where the ending to "Skyfall" was filmed. In the misty, driving rain it was a great trip and albeit not brilliant for pictures it did lead to more waterfalls than normal.

The problem was most of the time it was just dull, grey & utterly featureless which was absolutely dreadful for landscape shots no matter what combo of filters I tried (and I used them all, at varying stages!).

The ONE single day where there was any action in the sky worth effort was the day we did an 8 mile river kayak into Loch Insh.... and though I took the underwater housing + S100, it wasn't prime photo territory! I have colossal sunburn from being stuck in a kayak for hours though, maybe you fancy a picture of that? :)
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Nina

Re: #223 - Poppy

Postby Nina » Tue 27 Aug 2013, 20:10

davidc wrote:I know I said no flowers for a while... but this isn't a flower :)

It's a pattern created by adding food colouring to a milk and washing up liquid solution! I hadn't expected it to do this at all but could hardly resist taking it when I saw it!

Poppy - 223/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr

Exciting result. You're cooking on gas David! :)
Regards

Nina

Check out my latest work
On www.pbase.com/ninaludwig
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 28 Aug 2013, 10:58

davidc wrote:Frustratingly, the weather was often OK for holiday purposes but rubbish for photography - e.g. we took a rain soaked drive down the glen where the ending to "Skyfall" was filmed. In the misty, driving rain it was a great trip and albeit not brilliant for pictures it did lead to more waterfalls than normal.

The problem was most of the time it was just dull, grey & utterly featureless which was absolutely dreadful for landscape shots no matter what combo of filters I tried (and I used them all, at varying stages!).

The ONE single day where there was any action in the sky worth effort was the day we did an 8 mile river kayak into Loch Insh.... and though I took the underwater housing + S100, it wasn't prime photo territory! I have colossal sunburn from being stuck in a kayak for hours though, maybe you fancy a picture of that? :)

Typical, the only day when you really don't want want blazing weather, the sun comes out. I'll forego the pleasure of seeing the after effects. ;)

All you can really do on dull days is find waterfalls or use the soft light for detail shots. Bit frustrating when you have travelled somewhere for the grand vistas, though.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

#224 - Mollusc

Postby davidc » Wed 28 Aug 2013, 12:03

I like how much detail has come out here.

Mollusc - 224/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

Reserved for 225
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#226 - Jedburgh

We paused for lunch beside Jedburgh Abbey on our way to Glasgow

Jedburgh - 226/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#227 - Loch Lomond

I'd wanted to try a panorama at some stage of the project and Loch Lomond seemed to be a good subject. However, though pretty, I'm not happy with it.

Loch Lomond - 227/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#228 - Glencoe Lochan

This is a private loch and forest built by some wealthy noble. He shipped all the bits in from Canada apparently.

Because Scotland is known for its lack of water and trees.

Glencoe Lochan - 228/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#290 - The Lonely Mountain

Postby davidc » Wed 28 Aug 2013, 12:04

One of my "must do" shots when I was up in Scotland - despite the weather being absurdly boring for almost the entire trip on this day things started to get interesting! I dragged the wife into the car and drove 5 or 6 miles BACK to the mountain we'd passed earlier in the day to get the shots :)

(This is one of the ones I've found to be lower quality coming via LR, I might redo the whole image using my old workflow to compare)

The Lonely Mountain - 229/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here

Return to “Photo Sharing”