Blades

Post a photo to get comments and suggestions on how it can be improved. For best help you should include the relevant EXIF information. (Use "Photo Sharing" if you simply want to share images and are not after feedback.)
Mike Farley

Blades

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 18 Jul 2013, 08:38

This is the first of the two of my images which were critiqued at the Members' Evening on 17 July, 2013. As well as giving people the opportunity to add their comments, I can add some information about the processing which was not possible to do on the night.

The shot was taken at the Gatwick Aviation Museum which, if you have not already been, offers a lot of photographic potential. For those who can recall my entry into this year's club exhibition, all the images were taken there. The museum is open every Saturday this year until the end of October.

http://www.gatwick-aviation-museum.co.uk/

The image started out as a Raw file and I went with the approach that the controls in ACR are there to be used to the full. The effect which I was after required some extreme settings, although as a result of last night's session I will probably moderate them slightly for the final image, in particular to remove the hotspot on the white area at the centre of the turbine. I initially used Lightroom 3 which has the ACR 2010 process and have included a screenshot of the settings. With the changes to the controls in ACR 2012 which Adobe introduced in Lightroom 4/Photoshop CS6/Photoshop Elements 11, it is obvious that the way ACR works has altered fundamentally, although it is still possible to get a similar effect with some experimentation.

Blades - small.jpg
Blades - processed image
Blades - small.jpg (138.1 KiB) Viewed 2427 times

Blades - ACR Settings.JPG
ACR Settings
Blades - ACR Settings.JPG (35.61 KiB) Viewed 2427 times

This is the original unprocessed image.

Blades - Original.jpg
Blades - unprocessed image
Blades - Original.jpg (107.16 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Re: Blades

Postby davidc » Thu 18 Jul 2013, 11:06

Really good way of presenting the before/after images and a sample/summary of how you processed it.

The tweaks you've done help, boosting contrast where it's needed (leading edge of the blades for example) and have brought out the yellow as was commented last night.

In terms of changes, I'd only clone out the tiny dot underneath "casper's eye" (on the white swirl) and the other scratches on the black hub area. Other than that I don't think it can be improved. Probably more of a photographer's image but it's still eye catching and works well in my opinion.

If we were scoring it personally I'd give it 10. But I'd give the write up you've posted alongside it 12 :)
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Re: Blades

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 18 Jul 2013, 14:52

Thanks for the feedback, Dave, both on the image my description. I had not noticed that small mark in the white area, which just goes to show the benefits of sharing. :D
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “Image Critique”