Singapore view 1

Post a photo to get comments and suggestions on how it can be improved. For best help you should include the relevant EXIF information. (Use "Photo Sharing" if you simply want to share images and are not after feedback.)
davidc

Singapore view 1

Postby davidc » Sun 15 Mar 2015, 03:43

This is a work in progress, as yet I haven't even taken the card out of the camera and all the processing was done on my phone travelling home from the location.

I think I will go back to time it for the blue hour and for when the ligt show is going on in marina bay - I should be able to see the lasers and lights even from this distance!

So assume a prettier blue sky and maybe some lasers- any thoughts on the shot and my initial experimental treatment?

Original -

image.jpg
(848.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet

First Pass

image.jpg
(940.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Re: Singapore view 1

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 15 Mar 2015, 10:11

I prefer the original, although the sky could do with darkening down a notch. The processed version has too much contrast, the lower right hand corner especially, for my taste. Neither do I especially enjoy the mix of blue and yellow, which seem to clash. I also wonder how much the buildings to the left are adding; a pity that the ferris wheel is not further over to the right which would make it easier to exclude them.

It would be interesting to see the scene when taken at a more optimal time.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Wed 25 Mar 2015, 13:35

Hi David

Did you bracket your shots? Just read an interesting article on HDR alternative techniques involving blending 2 or more exposures - http://www.shutterevolve.com/why-you-wi ... exposures/

It may help with the exposure range inherent in night shots.
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu 26 Mar 2015, 02:43

I do bracket, yes - almost as a matter of course when shooting landscapes! It makes filters unnecessary in many cases :)

Still not gotten around to processing this yet. I've got a scratch drive approaching 500gb of unprocessed images now :o
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 26 Mar 2015, 08:04

Paul Heester wrote:Hi David

Did you bracket your shots? Just read an interesting article on HDR alternative techniques involving blending 2 or more exposures - http://www.shutterevolve.com/why-you-wi ... exposures/

It may help with the exposure range inherent in night shots.

Thanks for the link, Paul. There's a lot in there and I am still working my way through it, but it encompasses a number of useful looking techniques.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 26 Mar 2015, 08:07

davidc wrote:
I've got a scratch drive approaching 500gb of unprocessed images now :o

Well that settles what to do during your holidays. You daren't go away anywhre interesting as that would only result in an increase to the backlog. ;)
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Image Critique”