The Photography Show - Birmingham

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Mike Farley

The Photography Show - Birmingham

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 22 Jan 2014, 13:28

The Photography Show at the Birmingham NEC has replaced Focus on Imaging to which the club organised an annual outing over the past few years. It is always an enjoyable day and this year the organisers are promising more to see and do than in previous shows. We have travelled by train, taking advantage of cheap advance fares between Euston and Birmingham International priced at £15 return.

The show runs between 1 - 4 March and looking at the train times and fares, the best days to go are either 1 or 4 March. I have ruled out the Sunday as the fares are higher and the train services slower. The Monday is a possibility, although this would mean leaving Euston at a slightly later time than normal to get the cheapest fare.

http://www.photographyshow.com/

Proposed dates and times.

Saturday, 1 March

Meet at East Croydon: 08:30
Depart Euston: 10:03
Arrive Birmingham International: 11:13
Depart Birmingham International: 18:40
Arrive Euston: 19:55

Tuesday, 4 March

Meet at East Croydon: 09:30
Depart Euston: 10:43
Arrive Birmingham International: 11:53
Depart Birmingham International: 19:20
Arrive Euston: 20:34

(We could also go on Monday 3 March, although this would entail catching the later 11:03 train to get the cheapest fare.)

To ensure that we can sit together, I am happy to order the tickets en bloc and be reimbursed by those going. Note that since these are cheap tickets, once booked they are non refundable.

My preference would be to go on the Saturday. This would allow those members who have to go to school (as David Candlish expresses it ;) ) the opportunity to come along. There are also likely to be offers for equipment at prices lower than normal retail and which tend not be available elsewhere. (Both CameraWorld and London Camera Exchange have stated they will be offering show only prices.) If we go on the last day of the show, some of these might have sold out.

Is anyone interested? If so, can you reply to this post stating in order of preference on which dates you would like to go. Can you also say if you have a railcard and which type it is so that I can get your discount.

Responses by 29 January, please.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Re: The Photography Show - Birmingham

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 22 Jan 2014, 23:03

In response to a question asked at tonight's club meeting, I will book the train tickets so that everyone who is going can sit together; otherwise we will end up scattered all around the train if everyone places their own order separately. However, each individual will be responsible for obtaining their admission ticket to the show. There are no discounts for a block booking, but there is a small reduction for paying in advance rather than on the door. The standard admission fee allows entry to most parts of the show and events, but there are additional charges for some activities such as the Super Stage. There is also an option to buy the show guide in advance for a £1 saving. Each person being responsible for their own admission tickets will allow people to choose what they wish to do while they are at the show.

Further details are on the ticket price page - http://www.photographyshow.com/Content/ ... et-1/3_10/
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu 23 Jan 2014, 09:38

I can't go sadly, otherwise engaged.
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 23 Jan 2014, 10:14

Sorry to hear that you will not be able to make it.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:31

It's a shame, one day I'd like to come to one of these :(
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Rose

Postby Rose » Thu 23 Jan 2014, 12:38

If I went I would have to leave the credit card at home ! I just wouldn't trust myself with it... ;)
Rose
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 23 Jan 2014, 14:58

Rose wrote:If I went I would have to leave the credit card at home ! I just wouldn't trust myself with it... ;)

You can always blame me for leading you into temptation. Apparently last year I was responsible for another member buying a high end zoom. Funny thing is, I thought my advice was the opposite. ;)
Regards

Mike Farley
gcluer

Postby gcluer » Thu 23 Jan 2014, 18:34

I'm going to be really anti-social. I am likely to go on that day but probably leaving later and coming home earlier. I can get a free train ticket so wouldn't be able to sit with you.

But will probably see you there.

Graham
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 23 Jan 2014, 18:56

No worries, Graham. Nearer the time we can exchange mobile phone numbers to make meeting up a bit easier. The show is spread across two large halls at the NEC, so best not to rely on a chance encounter.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidb

Postby davidb » Fri 24 Jan 2014, 08:12

I've already booked my admittance ticket (last November, shortly after the announcement) for Tuesday 4th March.

As for the travel arrangements, they still have to be made - I will probably be travelling after 9:30 to take advantage of my Freedom Pass and Senior Railcard. If the preference for other members is for Tuesday if I don't see you on the train hopefully we'll meet in the NEC.

I agree with Rose - the temptation would be too great!
Regards

David A Beard.

Return to “Outings & Events”