Autumn Colour

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Mike Farley

Autumn Colour

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 03 Oct 2012, 23:13

With autumn now upon us, it is a good time to capture the glorious colours of the trees, for which Winkworth Arboretum is well known. I propose a club outing there on either 3 or 4 November 2012, which are a Saturday and Sunday respectively. If the Saturday, we can meet at the church and travel in cars although we might want to think about somewhere else if we opt for Sunday. Meet at 9:15 for a 9:30 departure. The arboretum is open 10:00 - 16:00 during the winter months and there is an admission charge for those without National Trust membership. There is a tea-room where it is possible to obtain a light lunch.

If anyone would like to go, can you respond to this thread and indicate your preferred day if one is better for you than the other.

Further details of the arboretum are on the National Trust website - http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/winkworth-arboretum/
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Re: Autumn Colour

Postby davidc » Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:53

I'll have to double check the dates, but tentatively interested. Just wondered, is it worth trying to go a little earlier to get dawn light? Makes the pics look better :)
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:22

davidc wrote:I'll have to double check the dates, but tentatively interested. Just wondered, is it worth trying to go a little earlier to get dawn light? Makes the pics look better :)

The arboretum is open 10:00 - 16:00, but sunrise is 07:00 at the beginning of November, so getting the early morning light is not a possibility whatever time we leave. Sunset is at 16:30, which gives a few more possibilities for low level light in the afternoon. In my experience, once the sun gets below a certain point it tends to fade even though it is still visible in the sky, so we will probably not miss anything in the final 30 minutes of daylight. At that time of year the sun does get not too high at midday, so it is possible to get good light for much of the day.

The best plan is to get there in the morning, take a look around to shoot anything that is worthwhile at the time and also plan for later in the day. I'll bring my sun compass so that we can establish where the sun will be setting and work out likely shots. If nothing else, it will be a good exercise in previsualisation.

Travelling time by car is around one hour, so the approximate timetable is:

• 09:30 - Depart Croydon
  • 10:30 - Arrive Winkworth Arboretum
  • 11:00 - Exploring and shooting
  • 13:00 - Lunch
  • 14:00 - Continue shooting
  • 16:00 - Depart Winkworh Arboretum
  • 17:30 - Arrive Croydon

If everyone is keen, we could consider leaving a bit earlier, or alternatively go in two groups and meet up at the venue if some people are keen to get a bit of extra shut eye.
Regards

Mike Farley
Franke07

Postby Franke07 » Thu 04 Oct 2012, 23:06

I would be intrested in going on the Sat 3/11/12 Time as suggested is fine, this time of the year sun is prety low in the sky and provides nice effects
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Tue 09 Oct 2012, 23:53

It seems there is a specific 2 hour "Autumn Colour Photography Session" on the 3rd Nov:
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/visit/w ... c82f4d3d67

Though it doesn't give much information - simply "Learn how to capture the true beauty of the season, and receive expert advice on where to spot the top autumn colour" - so unclear if it's tailored for experienced vs new photographers.
TheLuddite

Postby TheLuddite » Wed 10 Oct 2012, 10:33

Yes, I would be interested; either day will be ok.

Chris
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 10 Oct 2012, 13:41

Peter Boughton wrote:It seems there is a specific 2 hour "Autumn Colour Photography Session" on the 3rd Nov:
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/visit/w ... c82f4d3d67

Though it doesn't give much information - simply "Learn how to capture the true beauty of the season, and receive expert advice on where to spot the top autumn colour" - so unclear if it's tailored for experienced vs new photographers.

I have spoken to Winkworth Arboretum and this is a two hour event which is being lead by one of the gardeners who has an interest in photography. The benefit is that there will be someone with local knowledge who can point out the places which will be looking best when we visit. The downside is that the tour starts at 10:00, so it would mean an earlier start and opting for 3 November. Other than the admission fee, there is no additional charge for the event. The Arboretum expects to limit numbers to around 20 people, so we will need to give some advance notice if we want to join in.

Personally, I would be up for the early start to make the best of our time there. What do others think?
Regards

Mike Farley
Tina

Postby Tina » Wed 10 Oct 2012, 16:27

I am interested in this outing and an early start would be ok.
Tina
gcluer

Postby gcluer » Thu 11 Oct 2012, 09:44

Me too!

Sat with an early start is fine.

Graham Cluer
PaulW

Postby PaulW » Thu 11 Oct 2012, 10:47

Hi
Saturday would be fine, even 9.00 am would be a lay in for me :lol: :lol: