Autumn Colour

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Mike Farley

Re: Autumn Colour

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 01 Nov 2012, 19:46

I finally managed to get in touch with Winkworth Arboretum late this afternoon and have booked places for everyone on the photography workshop. They seem to be very busy at the moment and do not have time to answer the phone until around closing time. Note that the cost of the workshop is in addition to the normal entry fee, although NT members get free admission, of course.

The chap I spoke to warned me that for a number of reasons the car park does not open until 10:00 am when all the staff are on site, but the road is not suitable to park directly outside if we get there early and have to wait a while. We might need to park up somewhere nearby if we get there before 10. I have been assured that the photography workshop will not start without us, so we will have time to sort out kit and pay for admission etc.

If anyone wants my mobile number for contact in the mnorning, drop me a PM.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Postby davidc » Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:10

See you all tomorrow morning then, I have loaned a 24-105 lens I'm *very* keen to try out!

In terms of other kit, tripod of course, but also the 10-22 - I'm thinking that between the two I'll have enough coverage for everything we're likely to see on the day.

Now it's just making sure batteries are charged and memory cards cleared!
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 02 Nov 2012, 17:59

Another useful bit of kit for going down into the woods is a soft graduated neutral density 0.6 filter. When the tops of the trees are in shot along with the floor of the wood, there is quite a wide difference between the exposure required for the darkest and brightest points of the image. It is quite likely that this will exceed the camera's dynamic range capabilities. The filter reduces any sky visible in the tops of the trees by two stops so that the exposure can be biased for the darker areas. As the transition between the neutral density and clear part of the filter is quite gradual, i.e. soft as opposed to a more distinct hard change between the two, the reduction in exposure at the top of the image is usually not noticeable.

For those who prefer not to mess around with filters, a similar effect can be achived by taking two or more exposures and combining them in post processing.

One other filter which could help enhance images is a polarising filter, which will reduce glare and bring out colours. Since it will increase exposure times by 2 - 3 stops, it might prove problematic if a fast shutter speed is needed and there is any wind which is causing movement in the leaves and branches.
Regards

Mike Farley
TheLuddite

Postby TheLuddite » Fri 02 Nov 2012, 21:16

I was going to bring a tripod but decided to go without; might regret it (especially as its supposed to be windy tomorrow) but fancied shooting on the hoof. new camera, new challenge etc....
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 02 Nov 2012, 23:28

TheLuddite wrote:I was going to bring a tripod but decided to go without; might regret it (especially as its supposed to be windy tomorrow) but fancied shooting on the hoof. new camera, new challenge etc....

Why not take a tripod and leave it in the car until you know if you are going to need it?
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 03 Nov 2012, 17:13

I for one had a very enjoyable time and the photography workshop was definitely worthwhile for Callum's knowlege of the arboretum. He showed us some places which I would probably not have found on my own - in fact I could not find them again when we went around in the afternoon! We certainly had the best of the light in the morning and I hope everyone got some shots with which they are pleased. I am just about to start looking at mine now.

If people wish to share their images, could you post them on this thread so that everything is kept in one place on the forum. It would be good to see what everyone was able to make of the day.
Regards

Mike Farley
Franke07

Postby Franke07 » Sun 04 Nov 2012, 17:45

A vote of thanks to Mike (and belatedly to David) for arrange the events over the last 2 weekends, I found them to be throughly enjoyable! Well done guys looking forward to future ones!
Franke07

Postby Franke07 » Sun 04 Nov 2012, 18:31

hanging-on.jpg
Here's one i took on the day
hanging-on.jpg (7.84 KiB) Viewed 4692 times
Franke07

Postby Franke07 » Sun 04 Nov 2012, 19:33

broken.jpg
Another
broken.jpg (7.74 KiB) Viewed 4692 times