British Wildlife Centre

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Paul Heester

British Wildlife Centre

Postby Paul Heester » Mon 22 Apr 2013, 13:29

I visited the British Wildlife Centre recently and was impressed how much there is to photograph. Its near Godstone so not too far away and they seem to have every wild animal Britain has to offer. Deers, Owls, Stoats, Weasels, snakes, foxes, red squirrels, badgers and plenty Ive missed out.

They also run photographic days as well (all these are weekdays) so maybe an option for a CCC day out?
Our special Photographic Days are held when we are closed to the public, offering the amateur photographer an opportunity to get really close to our animals. Good vantage points combined with natural surroundings and a peaceful environment gives you every opportunity to achieve superb wildlife shots, and we can normally allow access inside some of the enclosures, including the foxes, otters and Scottish wildcats.

Even when open to the public there is still plenty of potential for great photos.
davidc

Re: British Wildlife Centre

Postby davidc » Mon 22 Apr 2013, 13:54

I'm interested provided it's on a weekend.
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 22 Apr 2013, 14:18

The BWC is to the south of Godstone near Lingfield and I can certainly endorse Paul's recommendation as it being a good place for photography. It is open to the public only at weekends, except during school holidays. While not photographic days, it is possible to get a good variety of shots. As Paul has noted elsewhere, the keepers do talks at different enclosures every half hour and entice the animals out with food.

It is also worthwhile ttaking out an annual membership. As well as unlimited visits, it entitles you to a members' evening when they put on special activities which are not available during normal opening hours. If anyone knows it, that's how I got my picture of a harvest mouse which was exhbited at the SPA biennial exhibition in 2010. The other advantage of the evening is that it is held in mid summer and, provided it does not rain, the light can be much better than during the day.

I have not been on one, but the photographic days are worthwhile as you get the opportunity to go inside the enclosures and avoid the problems of shooting through a fence. I have seen a number of pictures of the Scottish Wild Cats, which are virtually impossible to photograph ordinarily because of the fencing, taken this way. It's definitely on my list for shoots this year and we could get a group together. The photography days take place during the week when the centre is closed to the public.

I'm definitely interested in going in a party with the club one weekend.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Rose

Postby Rose » Mon 22 Apr 2013, 20:41

I'm defimnitely interested in doing this one weekend.
Rose
gcluer

Postby gcluer » Tue 07 May 2013, 21:09

I went on one of their photographers' days last year and it was really good. They let you into the cages and animals came really close (a fox jumped on my back as I was lying down photographing its mate).

They do these days during the week when the centre is closed to visitors so I doubt if you will get a day at the weekend.

Return to “Outings & Events”