SPA Biennial Exhibition Entry Details

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Mike Farley

SPA Biennial Exhibition Entry Details

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 10 Dec 2019, 18:44

Details of the club's arrangements for members to enter the 2020 SPA Biennial Exhibition.

If anyone has any questions, the quickest way to obtain an answer is to post a reply to this topic. This will also have the advantage that the information can be shared by other members.
Attachments
Individual entry form Form B.pdf
SPA Biennial Individual Entry Form B
(82.93 KiB) Downloaded 844 times
biennial2020RulesFinal.pdf
SPA Biennial 2020 Rules
(755.92 KiB) Downloaded 927 times
Croydon Camera Club Newsletter - SPA Biennial.pdf
Club newsletter
(166.5 KiB) Downloaded 870 times
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Re: SPA Biennial Exhibition Entry Details

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 11 Dec 2019, 10:02

UPDATE.

In addition to the newsletter, the rules and entry form have now been added to the post above. The forum software does not support files with the Word format so the entry form has been converted to PDF. Members will already have the original entry form which was circulated with my e-mail, but it is also possible to edit PDF files. If anyone requires another copy of the form as a Word document, drop me an e-mail or send me a PM and I will send it.
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Wed 15 Jan 2020, 12:45

I take it that images used in previous SLF competitions can be used in this SPA competition.
Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 15 Jan 2020, 12:57

Iggy wrote:I take it that images used in previous SLF competitions can be used in this SPA competition.

Yes. There is no connection between the SLF and SPA; their competitions are totally separate.

Do note, as already mentioned in the newsletter, that SPA specifies a larger image size for DPIs than that used by the SLF.
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Wed 15 Jan 2020, 13:16

Thanks Mike.
I have noted that SPA's maximum size is 1600 x 1200 pixels and up to 4MB.
Images need a long winded name.
The file has to be zipped, which I will need to find out again how to do.
Regards,
Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 19 Feb 2020, 12:06

The judging took place last weekend an I am collecting the prints which did not get into the exhibition from the organiser this afternoon. If all goes to plan, they will be available for collection at the club this evening.

The results should be available by the weekend, which might help with decision making in respect of entries to the SLF Open Competition and submissions for the Aamteur Photographer article. It also provides an opportunity to use prints returned by SPA in the SLF, if anyone does not want to make second copies of their work.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3377
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 19 Feb 2020, 17:31

Prints collected and will be available for collection this evening (19 February).
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 26 Feb 2020, 13:31

The results came out a bit later than I had expected, but everyone who entered has now received an e-mail informing them of how they fared. If anyone has not received their notification, let me know and I will resend it.

Our club had a good result, with five of us having images selected to be shown in the exhibition. A special mention goes to Bill Yates who had four prints accepted, one of which won a Highly Commended award in the Monochrome Print category. Congratulations also to Jack Bates, David Beard and Graham Land for their acceptances.

For those who are unfamiliar with the scoring system, there are three judges who are all of national standard each awarding between 2 and 5 points. The overall scores are a tally of all the marks awarded. A mark of 4 indicates that the judge thinks the image is of a standard suitable for inclusion in the exhibition and 5 indicates that the image is exceptional in comparison to its competition. It goes almost without saying that a maximum total of 15 is uncommon. Any image which receives at least one 5 is automatically included in the exhibition regardless of how the other judges score it. I once saw an award winner which received 10 marks, but that is a highly unusual occurrence. I am pleased to say that five of our prints received a top mark, with the majority being achieved by Bill with his three accepted monochrome prints.

The exhibition will be on at Guildford, as normal, between 3 – 25 April. This year, there were around 1,200 prints entered and 600 PDIs. In order to maximise the number of prints which can be shown, the majority are changed halfway through with changeover day being on 15 April. Only the award winners and PDIs are exhibited for the entire period. This allows around 300 prints to be put on display, roughly a quarter of the submissions. In general, a print needs to achieve a minimum score of 12 to go on show. The standard is slightly lower for the PDIs and 11 appears to have been sufficient. I am waiting for confirmation from SPA as to the dates when our prints will be hung and will update this thread once I receive it.

With so many images, we all owe our thanks to the organisers for the way they have efficiently managed their enormous task on our behalf. That work is ongoing, of course, with the exhibition still to come.
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Sun 01 Mar 2020, 22:34

Mike wrote:
Our club had a good result, with five of us having images selected to be shown in the exhibition.
A special mention goes to Bill Yates who had four prints accepted, one of which won a Highly Commended award in the Monochrome Print category.
Congratulations also to Jack Bates, David Beard and Graham Land for their acceptances.

Hello Mike,
It would be good to see the 11 images that did well and were accepted in the SPA Biennial Exhibition, perhaps displayed on this post or the CCC website, as not all of us can make the 2 journeys to Guildford to view them.
Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 01 Mar 2020, 23:38

Iggy wrote:
Mike wrote:
Our club had a good result, with five of us having images selected to be shown in the exhibition.
A special mention goes to Bill Yates who had four prints accepted, one of which won a Highly Commended award in the Monochrome Print category.
Congratulations also to Jack Bates, David Beard and Graham Land for their acceptances.

Hello Mike,
It would be good to see the 11 images that did well and were accepted in the SPA Biennial Exhibition, perhaps displayed on this post or the CCC website, as not all of us can make the 2 journeys to Guildford to view them.
Iggy

That will depend on those with acceptances being willing to upload them to the forum. The club does not have the digital files as everyone submitted their entries directly to SPA. All we did was collect the prints to take to the organisers and return those which were not selected.

Incidentally, we had 12 acceptances overall from five members.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Outings & Events”