19 October 2019 - Club Outing to the Chichester Area

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Mike Farley

19 October 2019 - Club Outing to the Chichester Area

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 29 Sep 2019, 18:24

Chichester and the surrounding area is rich with photographic opportunities. Chichester itself has a Norman cathedral which occupies a large part of the city centre and includes the Bishop's Palace Gardens (free to enter). Much of the centre retains its Georgian character, mainly in the area around Pallant House.

Just outside the city, there are the extensive gardens and woods at West Dean, the Weald and Downland Open Air Museum and an open air sculpture park at the Cass Sculpture Foundation. Landscape wise, there is a stunning beach at West Wittering and East Head, the latter rightly a National Trust property. Assuming my calculations are correct, the tide will be going out during the afternoon and, if the sun is shining, there can be some beautiful colours. It is a popular area, but a tripod and something like a Big Stopper neutral density filter will render invisible anyone who is around. There is also Halnaker Hill and windmill and the picturesque area of Chichester harbour nearby.

The plan is to leave by car from the Shirley Methodist church hall at 9:00 am, which means that we should arrive in the area at around 10:30. Sunset is at 18:00, although the weather will probably dictate what time we will leave. If we are fortunate, the sunsets in the area can be spectacular. The itineray will be weather dependent, but West Dean Gardens and West Wittering/East Head would make a good combination, with a pub lunch in between.

If you would like to join us on this trip, indicate your interest by responding to this thread and state whether you will be able to offer other members a lift. Those who are passengers are expected to make a contribution to the driver's fuel and associated costs.

The linked article from the Daily Telegragh gives an indication of what there is to see and has further links to some of the places I have mentioned.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/dest ... hichester/
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidb

Re: 19 October 2019 - Club Outing to the Chichester Area

Postby davidb » Sun 29 Sep 2019, 20:10

I'm interested - as a passenger
Regards

David A Beard.
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Sun 29 Sep 2019, 20:19

Hi Mike,
I would be interested in the Club outing to Chishester Area that you are proposing.
These days I only drive locally and so need a lift.
Thanks for organising.
Regards,
Iggy
Last edited by Iggy on Thu 03 Oct 2019, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
Steve B

Postby Steve B » Sun 29 Sep 2019, 20:49

I would also be interested, but would need a lift. I've not been but heard that Kingley Vale - an ancient forest of twisted yew trees - has photographic potential.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 30 Sep 2019, 16:35

I thought that people would like to see one of the shots which I took at East Head recently. Foolishly, I did not have a telephoto with me as I was saving weight in my bag. Doh! I would have loved to have got in a bit closer to all those textures.

East Head.jpg
Beach at East Head
East Head.jpg (76.59 KiB) Viewed 3256 times

And another from the same location. Getting in close to one of the sand dunes.

East Head Sand Dune.jpg
Sand dune at East Head
East Head Sand Dune.jpg (80.21 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
Regards

Mike Farley
keithash

Postby keithash » Thu 03 Oct 2019, 10:13

I'm interested in going to the Chichester area, however I prefer to go earlier in the morning and get sunrise.
If people want to arrive later in the morning that's fine we can meet up somewhere...
Regards,

Keith

Check out my new website - bare in mind it still under development:

https://kash-photography.herokuapp.com/
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 03 Oct 2019, 12:49

keithash wrote:I'm interested in going to the Chichester area, however I prefer to go earlier in the morning and get sunrise.
If people want to arrive later in the morning that's fine we can meet up somewhere...

Thanks, Keith. As you say, we can arrange to meet somewhere later on. Are you up for giving anyone a lift who wants to join you in your dawn vigil?

Below, tomatoes growing on the vine inside one of the many greenhouses at West Dean Gardens.

Tomatoes.jpg
Tomatoes on the vine
Tomatoes.jpg (87.29 KiB) Viewed 3206 times
Regards

Mike Farley
keithash

Postby keithash » Thu 03 Oct 2019, 13:03

Hi Mike,

I've already spoke to Micheal Platts, his happy to come with me early in the morning.
If anybody else is interested in earlier start I'm happy to take them :D

Please let me know...
Regards,

Keith

Check out my new website - bare in mind it still under development:

https://kash-photography.herokuapp.com/
solomonpesala

Postby solomonpesala » Fri 04 Oct 2019, 14:25

Hi Mike,

I am interested and might need lift.

Many thanks,
Solomon
jeffwin99

Postby jeffwin99 » Mon 07 Oct 2019, 09:26

Hi Mike
I am interested In going but would like to get there for the morning light if Keith has room that would be good

Return to “Outings & Events”