OUTING TO DUNGENESS

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
MikeW

OUTING TO DUNGENESS

Postby MikeW » Thu 09 Aug 2018, 09:51

Hi All, as I mentioned at the last club meeting I will be arranging an outing to Dungeness at the end of October or early November and am happy to involve as many club members as may be interested in visiting this rather strange, desolate place in southern Kent. Dungeness is a large triangular promontory consisting mainly of shingle and many small lakes. The beach to the west is a steeply shelving storm beach and is home to the power station and has the cooling water outlet which gives rise to excellent bass fishing throughout the year. It is shingle to the waterline even at the lowest tides. The beach to the east is also shingle but has extensive sand flats exposed as the tide drops. The Dungeness community is to the east of the power station and consists of a small number of single storey buildings looking like fisherman's huts which I'm sure they were. A small number of commercial fishing boats are still launched from the beach. The centre of interest is the Britannia public house and restaurant, relatively unchanged for many years, open daily for pub grub.

Other particular areas of interest, all within a mile or so of each other are:-

An extensive nature reserve and bird sanctuary managed by the RSPB which has good visitor facilities available throughout the year including a visitor centre open 10.00 - 17.00 in October and 10.00 - 16.00 in November. The site is open from 09.00- 21.00, or until sunset if earlier. A daily visit costs £4.00 and includes parking but is free to RSPB members. There is a 2 mile trail having a number of observation points, and hides, located to enable various habitats to be viewed.

The Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway (RH&DR) which runs from Dungeness to Hythe, daily in October but weekends only from November, and then only between Dungeness and New Romney. This is a narrow -15" - gauge railway using 1/3rd scale steam locomotives and rolling stock. The engine sheds are at New Romney where the company's 13 engines and carriages can be viewed freely. The station itself has many points of interest and has a licensed cafe and bar. A rover ticket offering hop-on - hop-off service for the whole day is £18.00 and an ordinary return between Dungenss and New Romney is £10.00.

Dungenesss B nuclear power station which has a visitor centre open daily Monday to Friday 09.00 - 16.00 and offers tours of the turbine rooms , reactor viewing gallery and cooling water intakes by advance booking (3 weeks notice required). CAMERAS ARE PROHIBITED ON THE TOURS, possibly in the visitor centre also.

The "Old Lighthouse" which is no longer functioning, as a replacement fully automatic facility has been erected, but which is open to visitors weekends only, 10.30 - 16.30 for £4.00.

Getting there. Public transport is not a practical proposition. I propose taking my car - a Nissan Qashqai - and parking for the day at the RSPB centre, or on the local roads where there are few restrictions. The journey time from Croydon is about 1hr and 45 minutes. I'm happy to take up to 4 passengers but advise that it will be very cosy in the back if taking 4. Also I'd like to stay until dusk or a little after - sunset around 17.00 - to get some shots of the power station which is brightly illuminated at night. Others interested in joining in could meet in the RSPB car park too.

When? Friday 26th October - because - the power station visits and the more frequent train service from Dungeness on the RH&DR line and sunset is not too late.
Sunday 4th November or Saturday 10th November - because - entry to the old lighthouse and sunset is a bit earlier.

REMEMBER CLOCKS ARE PUT BACK SATURDAY NIGHT 27TH OCTOBER.
Tina

Re: OUTING TO DUNGENESS

Postby Tina » Thu 09 Aug 2018, 11:41

Hi Mike
I would be interested in this trip.
My preferred date would be Sunday 4th November and Saturday 11th November as second choice.
If it was the Sunday my hubby Graham could come and we could drive and take 2 more people.
Best wishes
Tina
Sarahrs

Postby Sarahrs » Thu 09 Aug 2018, 17:44

Love Dungness and very happy to join an outing. I can only do the weekends I’m afraid. One aspects that interesting to photograph is the sound barrier at Dungness. Unfortunately it’s rarely own but should be able to get a few interesting shots across the lake.
Steve B

Postby Steve B » Thu 09 Aug 2018, 20:52

Hi Mike

I would like to come. Weekends only for me due to work commitments, although either date you mentioned is fine. I would need a lift. My focus would be the RSPB reserve for the most part.

Thanks for organising.

Steve
davidb

Postby davidb » Thu 09 Aug 2018, 21:09

Hi Mike

I'd be interested in joining the group but would need a lift to get there. I'd like to visit the nature reserve and perhaps, later, the RH&DR.

Any of the dates mentioned would suit me.

I also think this topic should be in "OUTINGS and EVENTS".
Last edited by davidb on Fri 10 Aug 2018, 06:48, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

David A Beard.
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Thu 09 Aug 2018, 22:15

davidb wrote:I also think this topic should be in "OUTINGS and EVENTS".

Agreed - I've moved it accordingly. (There's still a shortcut link from General.)

Not sure if I can attend, but wouldn't mind an excuse to visit the nature reserve.
(If I do come it'll most likely be from a non-Croydon direction.)
toms

Postby toms » Tue 14 Aug 2018, 10:35

Hi Mike,

Happy to join your group, a great area to get some good photographs.

Regards,

Tom
PaulW

Postby PaulW » Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:13

Hi Mike

I would also be interested, so please add me to your list.

Regards,

Paul
Franke07

Postby Franke07 » Thu 16 Aug 2018, 16:25

Hi Mike, I would be interested in going, happy to drive I would have 3 seats
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri 17 Aug 2018, 21:21

Hi Mike,
I would be interested to explore Dungeness, especially as there seems to be several drivers offering seats.
I am not keen to drive.
Thanks for organising,
Iggy

Return to “Outings & Events”