Club weekend away: going west

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Mike Farley

Re: Club weekend away: going west

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 01 Mar 2018, 18:23

Lindsay and I are now booked in at the hotel for 13 April.

The SPA Biennial Awards Dinner is also on 13 April and it is likely that SPA will be eager for me to be there to collect my judge's award. No doubt I will also be keen to attend on the basis that these moments of glory do not come around too often. Fortunately, the hotel where the dinner is being held is close to the M25 and the drive is approximately two hours according to Google.

There are no definite plans as yet. If events do turn out as I expect and I arrive late on Friday evening, I am unlikely to have much enthusiasm for an early morning shoot on the Saturday. ;)
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Sarahrs

Postby Sarahrs » Fri 02 Mar 2018, 08:59

Mike Congratulations on the award.

I'm in shock that after arriving really late you might not want to lead the crazy early morning possy on a photo shoot.

I'm sure, we can find someone to step-in. Keith?
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Sat 03 Mar 2018, 14:50

Mike said:
The SPA Biennial Awards Dinner is also on 13 April and it is likely that SPA will be eager for me to be there to collect my judge's award.

Mike,
Could you post your winning image, so that we can enjoy it too?
Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 03 Mar 2018, 15:13

Sarahrs wrote:Mike Congratulations on the award.

Thanks, Sarah.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
toms

Postby toms » Tue 06 Mar 2018, 23:16

Well done Sarah for getting this weekend away on track.

Now that we've sung Mike's praises (which are well deserved) I look forward to seeing what your group come up with.

As discussed I'm in the West Country all that week and will not be able to join you this time but hopefully if you find anything worthwhile we could combine it with the Dartmoor trip later in the year.

Well done again and I hope you all have a great trip.

Regards,

Tom
jeffwin99

Postby jeffwin99 » Thu 08 Mar 2018, 10:36

Hi Sarahrs I have booked into south Bristol Premier Inn so i will see you all there
Thanks Jeff & Jane
Sarahrs

Postby Sarahrs » Sun 18 Mar 2018, 09:17

Hi all.

As I understand the following people are on the Bristol trip:
Sarah
Keith
Michael
Tina & Graham
Mike & Lindsay
Jeff & Jane

So we have nice Intimate group of nine people. Is there anyone I've missed?

Next question: Bristol looks like it has some great Steak Restaurants. So do people like Steak?
Sarahrs

Postby Sarahrs » Sun 18 Mar 2018, 12:36

Hi All,

As requested here is a draft plan for the Bristol weekend. You can view it here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16gxCVn6T-F892kRqv06mjoC24q07yDc6gAHUfzjxeic/edit?usp=sharing
Please do let me know if the link doesn't work (it doesn't always work)

There are some options which would be great to get people's views on:
Saturday: Options A: Spend more time in Bristol, and then explore the seaside towns later in the day
Option B: Head to the first ever ANOB in the UK-wander back with dinner in a seaside town.
Very happy to play this by ear depending on how much time people want to explore Bristol. Can decide late as the Friday evening when we're in Bristol.

Sunday: As I know we have some keen Wildlife photographers in the group I have included an option of Avalon flats with the best nature reserves in the UK. Be great to find out whether people are interested in a whole day or even just a couple of hours. (if it a couple of hours can amend the plan for the Sunday to include).
Rose

Postby Rose » Sun 18 Mar 2018, 14:32

The Avalon Marshes are well worth going to - there are actually four reserves, plus another two close by. It will be a good time of year to hear (and if you're lucky, see) the Bitterns which the marshes are famous for. http://avalonmarshes.org/

Nearby seaside locations that are good for photography are Cleveden Pier, Burnham Lighthouse, Brean Down, Weston Super Mare.

Looks like I won't be able to join you... after having my shoulder surgery cancelled three times since January I'm now hoping to have it on 9 April.
Rose
Sarahrs

Postby Sarahrs » Tue 20 Mar 2018, 14:11

Hi all,

We can get a rspb private tour of swell woods on Sunday 15 April at 10:30am for two hours. It costs £4 per a person or £30 for groups of eight or less.

Would you be interested in such a tour before I book?

Return to “Outings & Events”