The Societies Convention Trade Show - 12 January 2018

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Mike Farley

The Societies Convention Trade Show - 12 January 2018

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 10:51

This annual event is free for early registration and is the largest such show held in London. There are free talks to attend and discounts available for photography gear. I shall be going on Friday, 12 January 2018 if anyone wishes to join me.

http://swpp.co.uk/convention/exhibitors.htm
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Iggy

Re: The Societies Convention Trade Show - 12 January 2018

Postby Iggy » Tue 05 Dec 2017, 09:49

Hi Mike,
Thanks for alerting.
I have requested the trade show free tickets but it it did not specify what day.
All the talks that I saw required prepayment and booking. Nothing Free?
The better web page for Trade Convention only is https://swpp.co.uk/secure/conventionform-trade-show.htm
I would hope to go on the Friday when it is hopefully less busy than the weekend.
We can confer about meeting up nearer the time.
Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 05 Dec 2017, 10:22

Iggy wrote:I have requested the trade show free tickets but it it did not specify what day.

The tickets are valid for the three days over which the show is being held.

Iggy wrote:All the talks that I saw required prepayment and booking. Nothing Free?

There are paid for sessions held away from the show, but the free ones will be held on exhibitors' stands. I cannot find a schedule so it might not yet be published. There will be something available on the day and, based on experience from previous years, you should receive a catalogue beforehand with the information.

Iggy wrote:I would hope to go on the Friday when it is hopefully less busy than the weekend.

Exactly my thinking, hence the date I have selected.
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Wed 10 Jan 2018, 08:39

The Societies Convention Trade Show starts this week.
Received free ticket.
Hoping to go this Friday to get there after 10.30am.
Not looking to check out or purchase any equipment.
Not sure how long I might stay. Depends how crowded it is and what free demonstrations/ workshops are available. Never been before.
Will take my camera in case there is something to shoot, or might have a walk about in London as nice weather similar to today is predicted.
Might see some of you there?
Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 10 Jan 2018, 09:59

I am still planning to go this Friday and will probably be there between 10:30-11:00 and will have my camera as well. The area around the nearby Paddington Basin can be quite interesting for a photo walk.

Maybe we can swap mobile phone numbers at tonight's meeting so that we can meet up at some point.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 12 Jan 2018, 18:30

I did go and met up with Iggy, albeit briefly, but there seemed to be less there than in previous years. There were some companies doing presentations, but I did not manage to catch any. Olympus used to have the entertaining Damien McGillicuddy doing demonstrations but there was no sign of him this year. Iggy and I left quite early to do some photography. In theory, my main reason for making an exit was that I needed a coffee. In practice, I was starting to feel the allure of the latest Fuji cameras, which I have been resisting for around 18 months now. The coffee proved to be considerably cheaper. ;)

If anyone does feel in need of some new gear and wants to know what is on offer, I do have the Cameraworld Fuji price list. Paul at Park Cameras, dangerous man that he is, offered to match the X-E3 price and throw in a memory card for good measure.
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Sun 14 Jan 2018, 20:48

It was good to meet Mike at the Trade Show.
I got there a little earlier and was lucky to be able to catch a 35 min workshop on the use of studio lighting a model. This was done with studio lights that stayed on all the time that could be adjusted for intensity and direction. They also demonstrated butterfly, Rembrandt lighting, etc using a lighting rod (?). The smaller gated studio light was used from slightly behind the model while the larger soft box was used from the front.
See images that have been cropped but not processed just to give you an idea of what was demonstrated.
Unfortunately I did not get details of the studio lights being used.
The speaker has done features for AP previously.
Iggy
Attachments
3-Studio Lights P1350579.jpg
3-Studio Lights P1350579.jpg (55.12 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
3-P1350570.jpg
3-P1350570.jpg (387.41 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
3-P1350613.jpg
3-P1350613.jpg (47.17 KiB) Viewed 1634 times

Return to “Outings & Events”