The Photography Show - 17 March 2018

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Mike Farley

The Photography Show - 17 March 2018

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 10:43

As usual, I will be attending The Photography Show, held annually at the NEC, Birmingham. It is is something which I have done regularly for the past few years. It is always an enjoyable event as it is the largest show of its kind held in the UK and there is plenty to do throughout the day. For those seeking new equipment, it is are rare occasion when special discounts and offers are available below usual shop prices.

Once again, I am willing to organise a group booking on Virgin Trains, taking advantage of the low cost Advanced ticket fares. Booking as a group means that I can obtain seats next to each other so that we can travel together.

The proposed train times are:

Euston: 09:23 (arrive Birmingham International 10:23)
Birmingham International: 17:20 (arrive Euston 18:33)

These times are subject to amendment. Last time Virgin Trains inexplicably imposed a premium on one of the services which I originally intended to book. Current fares are £8 each way, although it is possible to get a 25% discount for anyone travelling to a show at the NEC. That comes to a very reasonable £12 return. Prices have remained the same for the past few years but might be subject to an increase with the annual fare rises at the beginning of the year. Note that one of the reasons the tickets are so cheap is that there is no flexibility or refunds. Travel has to be on the booked train.

In previous years some people have wanted to return earlier from the show, but discovered they were unable to do so without buying a full price standard fare which are considerably higher. It is possible to purchase in advance an off peak flexible single ticket (currently £26-35) which will allow travel on any permitted off peak service. This does not seem to benefit from the 25% NEC discount. Anyone who wishes to return on an earlier train should buy their own tickets directly, which makes life simpler for me.

I am expecting these tickets to go on sale on 1 January 2018, so if anyone wants to go I request that you respond to this e-mail no later than 31 Deecember 2017. You shoulkd staet whether you require a return ticket or just the outward journey only.

Below is the link for the show, which has a facility to purchase admission tickets at earlybird prices until 14 March 2018. There is no need to pay the full price, simply use the code DCAMTPS18 to obatain a discount. Train tickets bought with the NEC discount are only valid in conjunction with a ticket for the show.

http://www.photographyshow.com/registration

This is the link for booking train tickets in conjunction with the NEC promotion.

https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/nec
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
waconquy

Re: The Photography Show - 17 March 2018

Postby waconquy » Wed 06 Dec 2017, 13:16

Hi Mike I would like to go also.
Thanks Wally
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 31 Dec 2017, 12:32

Bump.
Regards

Mike Farley
toms

Postby toms » Mon 01 Jan 2018, 16:52

Hi Mike,

Thank you for organising this trip. I intend to go to the show and will purchase my ticket later this week.

With a view to travelling I'd like to travel up with the group as I have done previously but will need to come back earlier so I'll purchase my own return ticket. Hope that makes sense.

Regards,

Tom
Steve B

Postby Steve B » Mon 01 Jan 2018, 17:14

Mike

If it isn't too late I'd like to go on the group ticket. I see they are going for a reasonable £8 return on the NEC promotional fare at the times you quoted.

Steve
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 18:13

OK, those travelling are:

Outward (five people):
  • Wally
  • Tom
  • Steve B
  • Me (plus my friend Malcolm who came with us last year)

Four of us will return on the 17:20 service. Tom will make his own way home.

When I checked earlier today, it looked as though the NEC promotional fare is still £6 per person each way, i.e. £12 in total. I'll confirm that once I have made the booking. Note that these fares are only valid with a ticket to an exhibition at the NEC on the day of travel and are non refundable.

Any amendments or anyone else wishing to go, let me know ASAP as I shall be mnaking the booking in a day or so.
Regards

Mike Farley
Sarahrs

Postby Sarahrs » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 20:47

Hi Mike,

I'm planning on coming along this year and have already bought the train tickets etc.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 22:06

Sarahrs wrote:I'm planning on coming along this year and have already bought the train tickets etc.

OK, Sarah. Thanks for letting me know. Are you on the same trains as the ones I proposed?
Regards

Mike Farley
Sarahrs

Postby Sarahrs » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 22:31

yep, the same trains :D
davidb

Postby davidb » Wed 03 Jan 2018, 01:42

Right -

… I've bought my ticket for the show
… and bought my rail ticket - (and have all the necessary e-tickets)
…… Leaving Euston at 09:23, coach B (seat 44),
…… returning at 16:00 (a little earlier than Mikes planned return). I might change at Watford Junction and get the Southern service to East Croydon. If I'm in luck I might get away without paying extra :shock:

Presumably the Group will meet at East Croydon in time for the train to London.
Regards

David A Beard.

Return to “Outings & Events”