World Zombie Day

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
GrahamL

World Zombie Day

Postby GrahamL » Tue 03 Oct 2017, 21:44

Hi folks,

I don't know how many this would interest but there is World Zombie Day in London at Saturday, starting at noon. See https://www.picatic.com/wzd2017 I went last year and it was quite amusing. Even better, they like you to take pictures of them. It's a walk. Last year it was from St. Paul's to Piccadilly via Embankment/Soho. No idea what the route is yet, get's announced later this week. It's for St. Mungo's charity.

I'm not yet certain that I can get there myself, though I have registered. To give some flavour here are a few of my images from last year's:
GCL_1468.jpg
GCL_1468.jpg (472.75 KiB) Viewed 3899 times

Clown_GCL_1196.jpg
Clown_GCL_1196.jpg (359.76 KiB) Viewed 3899 times

Smoking_GCL_1118_2.jpg
Smoking_GCL_1118_2.jpg (347.55 KiB) Viewed 3899 times

See what you think. It's all very friendly with lots of other photographers. Like similar types of event it's good to get there early so you can take shots of them applying their last minute touches. Forecast for Saturday is cloudy and 12C, not supposed to rain.

Cheers,

Graham Land
Iggy

Re: World Zombie Day

Postby Iggy » Tue 03 Oct 2017, 23:26

Thank you Graham.
Could this be another CCC Meet-Up?
GrahamL

Postby GrahamL » Wed 04 Oct 2017, 14:05

Hi Iggy,

It could be. They have just announced it's going to start at Harrington Square Gardens at noon - the nearest station is Mornington Crescent, NW1 2JA, though it's only about a 10 min. walk from Euston Station, East side, heading North up Eversholt Street. I guess from there they will walk, slightly faster than Zombie pace, towards central London via Bloomsbury/Soho. My problem is that I might be have to be elsewhere that time on Saturday and I don't yet have my diary settled. I hope to be there about 11.30am, but can't yet promise.

Graham

P.S. Won't be able to make tonight's evening I'm afraid.
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Thu 05 Oct 2017, 10:35

I have registered to go at http://worldzombieday.co.uk/register/ to get events details.
Photographer/Press Registration (Non-zombie photographers and press) is closed, so couldn't do that.

Graham, could we meet at Mornington Crescent Tube station at 11.30 am and then proceed to Harrington Square Gardens where the Zombies are starting their march from.
Here, we should be able to mingle and photograph some Zombies close-up and posed before the march.

What are the plans after that. Make for another spot to wait for the Zombies to come past?

We can keep in touch by mobile phone texts. I have your mobile ending in 99. Mine ends in 33.

All those interested in joining this MEET-UP could you kindly post on this Forum page.
GrahamL

Postby GrahamL » Thu 05 Oct 2017, 12:15

Hi Iggy,

Yes, that is pretty much my thinking. If it's like last year it will be easy to mingle with the participants as they complete their preparations in the Gardens. Once the march starts it's best to keep up with their slow walk, they don't always keep to time. There will I understand be four photo-opportunity stops during the afternoon, I think the first is at Camden Lock, the walk concludes about 6pm . The walk lasts the whole afternoon, but you don't have to stay till the end of course. You can also follow it on twitter.

I can bring a few printed maps of the route and details of the stops and timing to distribute. As mentioned I'll have to disappear about 2pm. There is a 6pm after-party near Piccadilly where you can also take pictures I understand, tickets are £5 from thee organisers website. Anyone who registers before Friday should get full details.

the organisers have requested the following to registered photographer's:

Credit the event:

When you post your own photos, videos, articles, blog posts, etc., please include the following text, either the long or short version:
Long version: “One of the purposes of World Zombie Day: London is to raise money for the charity, St. Mungo’s Broadway. To donate text BRNZ66 £3 to 70070 or got to the donation page: http://www.justgiving.com/teams/WZD2017. All the money raised will help improve the lives of homeless people.”
Short version: “Text BRNZ66 £3 to 70070 to donate to St. Mungo’s Broadway”
Please do tag anything you post with #WZD2017. Follow us on Twitter @WZDLondon.
We also have a Facebook Frame with the Text code on it. So help spread the word and take a photo or video with this effect by us World Zombie Day: London.

Here are some things you should know about our photo/video policy:

• Respect a zombie’s desire if they do not wish to partake.
• Be safe! Mind traffic, any pedestrians, do not obstruct passage ways. Do not obstruct anyone’s path intentionally.
• No distributing cards, flyers, and/or promotional materials.
• We have a "no charge" policy on any media produced from this event. Because this is a charity event – St. Mungo’s Broadway is the only body that should be receiving money raised from content produced from World Zombie Day: London.
• We do welcome sponsorships, donations, social media, press and a genuine interest in spreading the word about how to donate. Please share and tag!

Anyone not abiding to these terms will be asked to leave.

Hope this is helpful.

Graham
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri 06 Oct 2017, 10:48

Hi Graham,
All that information is helpful. Thanks. You know the scene as you were there last year.
I have registered as a participant but the photographer registration was closed. It is a public space so I expect that registration is not essential (???).

Forecast for rain between 11am and 1 pm have fortuntely diminished.
Mornington Crescent Tube station is a nice easy run from Balham which make it easy for me.
Looking forward to to some amazing images tomorrow.
Iggy
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri 06 Oct 2017, 19:27

Hi Graham (& Emmanuel),
Looks like there is no interest from other CCC members and so it you just you and I that allows us to do as we please.
I am hoping to do most of my photography at the start point in Harrington Square Gardens as it should be easier to photograph the Zombies there. I am tempted to get to Mornington Crescent Underground station a tad earlier at 11.15am and move directly to the park on arrival, where we can meet/ cross paths as we work the Zombies. We can keep in touch by texts.
I will keep my walk with the Zombies to a minimum going to Camden Park and then past Mornington again when I will depart homewards or elsewhere. (Perhaps Bushy Gardens to pick up their 2018 calendar that features one of my images!).
Is that OK with you?
All the best,
Iggy

PS:I have printed off my ticket.
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Sat 07 Oct 2017, 19:01

The rain held off for the couple of hours that I spent in Harrington Square Gardens offering a great photographic opportunity.
Here I was able to practice communicating with total, although friendly strangers that were dressed up as zombies. At first I took the images where they stood. Soon though, I built up confidence to have a chat and a laugh and then move them to a better location that had less distressing back grounds. Before I knew it, I was demanding that they open their eyes wide and give me more of their internal zombie. I surprised myself!
Had a few chats with Graham, but we were both busy and worked independently.
I didn’t go on the walk, as I already had a few hundred images and would not have any control over the subjects. In any case, it had started drizzling.
Thoroughly enjoyed the session even though images may never make the CCC competitions.

“One of the purposes of World Zombie Day London is to raise money for St. Mungo’s Broadway Charity. To donate text BRNZ66 £3 to 70070. Money raised will help improve the lives of homeless people.”
Attachments
4-Sympathetic background.jpg
4-Sympathetic background.jpg (87.12 KiB) Viewed 3823 times
4-Bigger Eyes please.jpg
4-Bigger Eyes please.jpg (144.71 KiB) Viewed 3823 times
Last edited by Iggy on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 08:54, edited 2 times in total.
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Sat 07 Oct 2017, 19:04

Two more images
Attachments
4-Dripping Blood.jpg
4-Dripping Blood.jpg (88.13 KiB) Viewed 3822 times
4-Reluctant Zombie.jpg
4-Reluctant Zombie.jpg (86.19 KiB) Viewed 3822 times
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 08 Oct 2017, 08:04

Hi Iggy

Seems like you hd a good day. Thanks for sharing some of your shots.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “Outings & Events”