Annual Sheep Drive Across London Bridge

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri 08 Sep 2017, 13:09

https://sheepdrive.london
On Sunday 24th September 2017, our Caje Moniz from the Croydon Camera Club and others shall be exercising their right as a Freeman of the City of London and a Liveryman of the Worshipful Society of Apothecary, to drive their flock of sheep across London Bridge, without hindrance or fine.

Around 600 of the City's freemen affiliated to one of the 110 City livery companies (ancient and modern trade associations and guilds) will raise thousands of pounds for charitable causes through the Lord Mayor's Appeal and will be hosted by the Worshipful Company of Woolmen.

Caje Moniz’s time slot is 12.51 South to North, Stage 4

You are welcome to see, enjoy and photograph the spectacle. Whilst it might not (yet) rank alongside events such as the Changing of the Guard as a cornerstone of London tradition, it's one of the few days that celebrates the City's history as a global centre of commerce.
Attachments
Sheep Drive 2.jpg
Sheep Drive 2.jpg (129.99 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
Ronald Barker

Re: Annual Sheep Drive Across London Bridge

Postby Ronald Barker » Sun 10 Sep 2017, 11:32

Is this another meet up?

Ron
toms

Postby toms » Sun 10 Sep 2017, 15:39

No Ron, it's a round up.
:D

Tom
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Sun 10 Sep 2017, 23:57

Hi Tom,
Well said! Ba-ha-ha-ha :)

Seriously though, The London Bridge Sheep Drive also incorporates a Wool Fair with over 50 stands selling a range of woollen goods, jewellery and luxury accessories plus artisan street food, craft ales, cocktails, ice cream, product-making demonstrations and live entertainment that does add to the photographic opportunities.
This could be followed by a drink or lunch at The George, 75-77 Borough High Street or just back to Croydon from London Bridge.

So yes Ron, this could work out as a CCC Meet-up.

Unfortunately, I am unable to be there for the beginning. Caje cannot lead this as he has bunch of sheep to drive.

But it is easy to get there for a group of intrepid CCC Photographers.
East Croydon 9.17 am to London Bridge Station arriving 9.50 am.
10.00 am Meet up near Platform 15 – M&S shop.
Walk to London Bridge for the Sheep Drive & Wool Fair 10 am – 12.30 pm.
I haven’t been to a sheep drive before, so I will find out from Caje Moniz what to expect and where the best locations to stand are.

12.30 start walking back towards London Bridge Station, keeping right and head to The George, 75-77 Borough High Street (on the left side just off Borough High street down an alley way).
Should be a fun filled morning!

So let see what interest there is in this Meet-up.

Check out:
https://sheepdrive.london/wool-fair/
https://sheepdrive.london/gallery/
http://www.george-southwark.co.uk/
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/info/85/the-george-inn
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/map/85/the-george-inn

Best wishes,
Iggy
Sarahrs

Postby Sarahrs » Wed 13 Sep 2017, 09:02

I'm in.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 13 Sep 2017, 09:27

Iggy wrote:12.30 start walking back towards London Bridge Station, keeping right and head to The George, 75-77 Borough High Street (on the left side just off Borough High street down an alley way).

Isn't Caje exercising his ancient and inalienable rights as a drover at 12:51?
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri 15 Sep 2017, 09:11

Well Spotted Mike.
The CCC group will stay to 1 pm to cover Caje Moniz's involvement in the Sheep Drove.
As this is now a CCC Meet-up, Emmanuel has kindly agreed to take charge of the event.
Iggy
rebeccaclark

Postby rebeccaclark » Fri 15 Sep 2017, 23:52

I may possibly be interested in joining you at this - will depend on the workload, so will have to make a decision on the Friday before.

Rebecca
emmanuel

Postby emmanuel » Mon 18 Sep 2017, 21:03

...Meeting Up... Sheep Drive Across London Bridge

Hi all. After last Saturday's fun morning at the LFW, we are going to the Annual Sheep Drive Across London Bridge.

As you have been following earlier posts a great deal of information about what to expect has already been posted so no need for repetition.

For those interested in joining in the fun we will be meeting On Sunday 24th September 2017 . 10.00 am Meet up near Platform 15 – M&S shop. and planning of finishing for 14:00pm.

Our friend Caje Moniz from the Croydon Camera Club and others shall be exercising their right as a Freeman of the City of London and a Liveryman of the Worshipful Society of Apothecary, to drive their flock of sheep across London Bridge.

Come along join the fun with our friends and grab the opportunity to capture amazing images.

For those of us a bit rusty on using our cameras, for sure that you can find all help and information amongst us by sharing our knowledge together.

Equipment needed :

Film SLR, Digital SLR or bridge camera and a zoom lens and/or prime lens (such as 18-55mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 24-105mm or 20mm, 24mm, 50mm).

If you think that you might be interested in joining the group would you please indicate your interest in a post below.

Emmanuel
davidb

Postby davidb » Mon 18 Sep 2017, 23:10

I'm off to the Bluebell Railway on Saturday but, if I'm not too exhausted (and I can get up in time), I will try to make it to London on Sunday.
Regards

David A Beard.

Return to “Outings & Events”