CCC Tours 2017/18

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
toms

Re: CCC Tours 2017/18

Postby toms » Fri 16 Jun 2017, 22:16

Pennies at the end of the day. We'll find a way to achieve our goals and in any event there's plenty more to photograph in the area.

Tom
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 16 Jun 2017, 22:44

toms wrote:We'll find a way to achieve our goals .........

The two Barnbaum shots shown in link which I gave in my previous post are the two classic views inside the cathedral. The "sea of stairs" leading to the Chapter House really need a wide-angle tilt shift lens. The medieval scissor arches, installed 800 years ago to stop the tower collapsing, look surprisingly modern. Both are unique and well worth the entry donation.

Compsec wrote:Wells Cathedral entry fee (donation) is now £6, concessions £5.

I only looked at the concession price and forgot that not everyone is as old as me. :(
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Rose

Postby Rose » Sat 17 Jun 2017, 16:10

The 'donation' to Wells cathedral is not obligatory and if you just walk past the desk they won't stop you. I usually go in via the shop exit, not the cathedral entrance, and bypass the queue for the desk. There is a sign about photography permits but I've never seen anyone buy or display one, and I have never had had any problems using my DSLR. I suspect if you got a tripod out though it might be different. You'll want as wide a lens as possible inside the cathedral, especially the chapter house. There is a separate entry fee for the Bishops Palace, but not much worth photographing there apart from the reflection pool so the entry fee may not be worth it unless you actually want to do the guided tours around the palace and gardens (perhaps something for spouses ?)

If you want something different to do on Sunday or Monday I can highly recommend Shepton Mallet Prison which is 10-15 minutes drive from Wells. It's open every day from 10am. It should still be open when you come (ownership is passing to developers in about October). A group from my camera club spent a good couple of hours there last week, we had the place to ourselves, were told we could go anywhere that was accessible and take as many photos as we wanted. They are even happy for you to set up lighting equipment etc as long as you don't get in the way of other visitors - not that we saw any last week ! You can see some of my pics here: https://500px.com/roseatkinson/gallerie ... let-prison

I also recommend you spend one evening taking night shots in Wells, including Vicars' Close and the moat around the Bishops Palace.

Saturday is market day in Wells - it's a proper country market with artisan goods and lots of local produce; and we have a town crier who is often there too.

There are landscapes aplenty of course - Glastonbury Tor, the Somerset Levels, Cheddar Gorge, Ebbor Gorge, DearLeap, Draycott Sleights, and two wildlife reserves at Ham Wall and Shapwick. All of which are within a 15 minute radius of Wells. And for the railway enthusiast there is West Somerset Railway at Shepton Mallet, - the longest preserved steam railway in the country.

I would like to suggest I book a meal for us all in Wells on Friday night ? Perhaps take some night shots after dinner if people aren't too tired from the journey. Spouses can go for a drink and we can meet up again afterwards.
Rose
toms

Postby toms » Sun 18 Jun 2017, 10:17

Hi Rose,

Thank you for the in-depth information which is very much appreciated.

Your suggestions are fine with me and I'd be more that happy for you to book somewhere to eat on Friday. We might have two more people coming (Paul & Lindey Whenham) so hopefully that will not be a problem.

Thanks again,

Tom
Rose

Postby Rose » Sun 18 Jun 2017, 10:28

That's fine - I won't need to book a table until a few days before :)
Rose
gcluer

Postby gcluer » Sun 18 Jun 2017, 10:47

Premier Inn booked for two of us. Good idea about the meal.

Graham C
Compsec

Postby Compsec » Sun 18 Jun 2017, 12:00

Great idea for the meal, thanks Rose.
Chris
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 22 Jun 2017, 20:48

I am now booked into the Wells Premier Inn.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
toms

Postby toms » Thu 22 Jun 2017, 23:13

Thanks Mike,

So is Paul & Linday Whenham.

Should be a good trip weather permitting.

Regards,

Tom
toms

Postby toms » Thu 22 Jun 2017, 23:14

Sorry finger slipped, should read Wenham.

Tom

Return to “Outings & Events”