Brooklands Double Twelve Motorsport Festival

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Sarahrs

Re: Brooklands Double Twelve Motorsport Festival

Postby Sarahrs » Sun 18 Jun 2017, 22:48

Ok, this is one of my images: [url][url=https://flic.kr/p/UCUzym]Image[/url]waiting 3 by Sarah Shakespeare, on Flickr[/url]
Sarahrs

Postby Sarahrs » Sun 18 Jun 2017, 22:59

This is another photo. Steve thanks for suggesting, had a great day. [url][url=https://flic.kr/p/VkebFA]Image[/url]shelter from sun by Sarah Shakespeare, on Flickr[/url]
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 19 Jun 2017, 11:04

Lord March, his grey hair visible behind the man with the back pack, cuts the ribbon to re-open the historic Brooklands finishing straight. I wonder how many people actually saw the moment for themselves, other than the photographers crowded around?
Attachments
Lord March (1 of 1).jpg
Lord March (1 of 1).jpg (127.72 KiB) Viewed 3799 times
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 19 Jun 2017, 14:02

Some panning shots of my own. I have used the age old trick of angling the car to introduce some dynamism through the use of diagonals.
Attachments
Panning (2 of 4).jpg
Panning (2 of 4).jpg (128.37 KiB) Viewed 3798 times
Panning (4 of 4).jpg
Panning (4 of 4).jpg (125.95 KiB) Viewed 3798 times
Panning (3 of 4).jpg
Panning (3 of 4).jpg (114.06 KiB) Viewed 3798 times
Regards

Mike Farley
davidb

Postby davidb » Mon 19 Jun 2017, 19:53

The 1/250 sec I used was probably too fast for getting action shots. Next time I'll use something slower!

Nice bunch of pictures everyone.
Regards

David A Beard.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 20 Jun 2017, 07:21

davidb wrote:The 1/250 sec I used was probably too fast for getting action shots. Next time I'll use something slower!

The shutter speed in my panning shots was between 1/60 and 1/80. The camera was set to continuous AF and high speed frame rate - 8fps on a Canon 7D Mk I. Image stabilisation was on. I have not done much panning before, so maybe it is a matter of practice, but I found that many of my shots were not sharp. Fortunately, in most bursts there was usually one or two which were in focus.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidb

Postby davidb » Tue 20 Jun 2017, 11:25

Mike Farley wrote:The shutter speed in my panning shots was between 1/60 and 1/80. The camera was set to continuous AF and high speed frame rate - 8fps on a Canon 7D Mk I. Image stabilisation was on. I have not done much panning before, so maybe it is a matter of practice, but I found that many of my shots were not sharp. Fortunately, in most bursts there was usually one or two which were in focus.

Mike, I could hear your motor drive whilst you were taking your shots. I, on the other hand, using a Canon 7D mk II, took individual shots quickly enough to get eight, nine, ten images in the sequence. However, quantity did not guarantee quality and a lot were not as sharp as I would have liked. Perhaps the taking of individual shots introduced a touch of camera shake.

It was a great day once we found the curves at the far end of the track. I had thought initially that my 18-200mm lens wasn't long enough but I soon found that it was ample. Looking forward to next year - hopefully a bit cooler!
Regards

David A Beard.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 20 Jun 2017, 12:09

davidb wrote:Perhaps the taking of individual shots introduced a touch of camera shake.

I suspect that panning is one of those things which is a bit hit and miss when it comes to sharpness, although I expect it improves with practice. The panning speed needs to match that of the subject and I would not be surprised if most of my failures were due to being slightly out of sync.

It can be the case that putting the camera into a high speed drive mode can help as there is less inclination to push the camera down while pressing the shutter release.

davidb wrote:It was a great day once we found the curves at the far end of the track. I had thought initially that my 18-200mm lens wasn't long enough but I soon found that it was ample. Looking forward to next year - hopefully a bit cooler!

+1, especially for not being quite so hot next time. I was using my 70-200 on the crop sensor 7D at anything between 145 - 200.

I only spent a few minutes at the end of the track, before going back to the museum. I got enough shots of cars going around the track while I was there. The finishing straight re-opening ceremony was definitely worthwhile as a lot of interesting and historic vehicles were participating.
Regards

Mike Farley
toms

Postby toms » Tue 20 Jun 2017, 13:43

Hi,

As all have identified it was an excellent opportunity to practice panning. Great when you get it right but several misfires en-route.

Feeling left out with all of the excellent pictures being put up so I thought I'd add a couple to the collection.

Well done everyone.

I attach my final contributions to the day.

Tom

Around the curves_2.jpg
Around the curves_2.jpg (149.78 KiB) Viewed 3785 times

Packard.jpg
Packard.jpg (99.9 KiB) Viewed 3785 times

Around the curves_1.jpg
Around the curves_1.jpg (166.35 KiB) Viewed 3785 times
davidb

Postby davidb » Tue 20 Jun 2017, 17:13

Mike Farley wrote:
… The finishing straight re-opening ceremony was definitely worthwhile as a lot of interesting and historic vehicles were participating.

I missed most of this and having got there late couldn't find an appropriate spot to practice my art. I did get a few of the motor cycles that followed the cars. Perhaps next time I'll need to keep an eye on the programme to be in the right place at the right time!
Last edited by davidb on Tue 20 Jun 2017, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

David A Beard.

Return to “Outings & Events”