The Photography Show: 18 March 2017

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Mike Farley

The Photography Show: 18 March 2017

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 14 Dec 2016, 14:47

As there has been some moderate interest in a club outing to this event and I shall be going myself, I propose to organise a trip to The Photography Show at the NEC. Something which I have done for the past few years for what I have always found to be an enjoyable event, with plenty to do throughout the day. For those seeking new equipment*, there are always attractive offers available which are better than the usual prices.

The train times are:

• Euston: 09:43 (arrive Birmingham International 10:53)
  • Birmingham International: 18:20 (arrive Euston 19:33)

It is possible to travel using Advanced tickets, which offer a cheap fare but no flexibility or refunds. These tickets usually go on sale 12 weeks before the date of travel and Virgin Trains offer a 25% discount for visitors attending shows at the NEC. That reduces the price from £8 for a single journey to £6, i.e. a total of £12 return. It is possible that these prices will rise slightly with the annual fare increase on 1 January 2017.

Last year, some people wanted to return earlier from the show, but discovered they were unable to do so without buying a full price standard fare (£88 on Virgin, £50 on the slower London Midland trains). It is possible to purchase in advance an off peak flexible single ticket (currently £26-35) which will allow travel on any permitted off peak service. This does not seem to benefit from the 25% NEC discount.

In order to be able to sit together on the services listed above, I shall make a group booking. Anyone who wishes to return on an earlier train should buy their own tickets directly, which makes life simpler for me.

Below is the link for the show, which has a facility to purchase admission tickets at earlybird prices. Train tickets bought with the NEC discount are only valid in conjunction with a ticket for the show.

http://www.photographyshow.com/registration

This is the link for booking train tickets in conjunction with the NEC promotion.

https://www.buytickets.virgintrains.co. ... earch.aspx

If you wish to go to the show with the club, would you respond on this thread, stating whether you will be travelling on the 18:20 service from Birmingham International or will make your own arrangements for coming home.

There is no deadline as such, but I will be booking the train tickets soon after Xmas when they become available as they can sell out quickly.

* Or are susceptible to tempting bargains. ;)
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
walterconquy

Re: The Photography Show: 18 March 2017

Postby walterconquy » Thu 15 Dec 2016, 22:36

Hi Mike, I would like to go to the Photography Show on the 18th March 2017, thats just me ( 1 )
Regards Wally
toms

Postby toms » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 12:45

Hi Mike,

Thank you for posting the information etc.

As it stands at this time, I'll definitely be going and would like to travel up with the club. The advance return ticket that you quote is fine (return) but based on this years problems getting back earlier I'll look over the next couple of weeks towards purchasing and advance return ticket as well. Virgin trains are showing fares up to the 11 March at £17 one way which isn't bad at all. If that is the price for the 18th then I'll purchase the return ticket now and opt to lose the £6 return ticket you mention unless of course it's possible to purchase a one-way ticket. There's bags of time and time is on our side.

Thank you again for volunteering to arrange the travel etc.

Tom
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 18 Dec 2016, 08:31

toms wrote:If that is the price for the 18th then I'll purchase the return ticket now and opt to lose the £6 return ticket you mention unless of course it's possible to purchase a one-way ticket.

Tom

The tickets are bought as singles, so it is possible to let me make the group booking for the journey to Birmingham without having to pay for the return trip twice. If you use the link I provided in my original post, you can take advantage of the NEC promotion when purchasing an Advance ticket.

According to The Photography Show website, the discount only applies to tickets purchased from 1 January onwards. I am waiting to see how that works out in practice.
Regards

Mike Farley
toms

Postby toms » Mon 19 Dec 2016, 12:44

Hi Mike,

Thank you for that information, I wasn't too concerned about the return journey and will look and see what is on offer over the next few weeks. Hopefully this will be a good turnout and we can all at least travel up together.

Regards,

Tom
Sarahrs

Postby Sarahrs » Mon 19 Dec 2016, 15:30

Mike,

Sounds fun. Count me in.

Sarah
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 03 Jan 2017, 23:40

The train tickets for the event have just gone on sale, so I am planning to purchase them in the next few days. If anyone wants to travel with the club and has not yet expressed an interest, you will need to do so by this Friday (6 January) at the latest. Ticket prices have remained unchanged and the lowest are still £6 each way, a total of £12 return.

There is one change to the timings, as the cost for the Advanced ticket on the outbound 9:43 train I proposed we take is double that of the services either side. I intend to book on the 9:23 service instead. In previous years, everyone has been at Euston by then so it is a feasible option, but if there is a consensus for the later service at 10:03 we will go on that instead. Once again, I need to know by this Friday.
Regards

Mike Farley
gcluer

Postby gcluer » Thu 05 Jan 2017, 22:19

Hi Mike
I would like to come up with you but will make my own way back. Could you book a ticket from Euston to Birmingham for me please?
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 06 Jan 2017, 14:35

Tom has spotted an offer in the latest PAGB news for those who do not qualify for the concessionary rate to get a discount on the normal price. If we can book five or more concessionary tickets, it is possible to get a reduction on that price as well. Until I can establish if we can get to the required number of concessionary attendees, those who are eligible might want to delay their entry ticket purchase. By my reckoning, we could just have the minimum number required but not if someone buys their own ticket.

The details are:

As a PAGB member, you can save £3 on standard adult entry (pay only £10.95) with our special discount - use promo code PAGBTPS17 to claim*
If you are booking a group of 5 concession tickets, use code GRP5C and pay only £9.76 per person
Book your tickets at http://www.photographyshow.com/registration
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 06 Jan 2017, 17:31

At present, those going to the show are:

• Tom
  • Wally
  • Sarah
  • Graham C
  • Mike + 1

Tom and Graham C will be returning separately from the remainder of the party who will be on the 18:20 from Birmingham International.

Unless there is a late request, it looks as though we will be one short of the number required to get a discount on the concessionary entry price. That said, with the PAGB offer no one should have to pay more than £10-95 for their show ticket. However old or young they might be. ;)
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Outings & Events”