The Societies' Photographic Convention Trade Show

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Mike Farley

The Societies' Photographic Convention Trade Show

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 29 Sep 2016, 09:34

The free trade show held in conjunction with The Societies' Photographic Convention is being held from 13-15 January next year. The club has made a regular visit over the past few years and it has always been a worthwhile day, especially for those in the market for gear as discounted prices are avaialbale for a wide range of products.

Is anyone interested in going as a group on Friday, 13 January 2017?

Free registration is now open and closes on 6 January, after which entry is £10.

http://www.swpp.co.uk/convention/
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Iggy

Re: The Societies' Photographic Convention Trade Show

Postby Iggy » Thu 29 Sep 2016, 10:46

I have booked the free tickets for the 3 free days 13-15 Jan. Easy to get to as it is at London Hilton, Edgware Road.
Haven't yet booked any 2 hour masterclasses that start at £75 where one could possibly attend four 2 hour sessions starting at 9.00 am and finishing at 20.00 all on Friday the 13th. Might need to attend the free trade the following day to buy stuff if anything grabs your attention!
Thanks Mike.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 15 Dec 2016, 22:24

Iggy wrote:Easy to get to as it is at London Hilton, Edgware Road.

Unfortunately, the first two days of the trade coincide with the end of proposed SIX day RMT and ASLEF strike on Southern Railway. At present, there does not seem to be much prospect that this long running dispute will be resolved by then.

The most direct route is via Victoria and while there are alternatives, they will take longer and are likely to be crowded. I have applied for my ticket, but will have to see how things pan out. It's a shame, as I have been going on the Friday for the past few years and it has always been an enjoyable event.
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri 16 Dec 2016, 10:20

Worst case scenario is bus to Brixton and then the Tube.

Is it too late for CCC members to apply free tickets now?

Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 16 Dec 2016, 10:58

Iggy wrote:Worst case scenario is bus to Brixton and then the Tube.

I was thinking of the London Overground to Canada Water to catch the Jubilee Line as far as Baker Street and change onto the Bakerloo. Getting there after the main rush will be time consuming, but hopefully doable. Getting back will be a different story unless leaving early and I doubt it would be worth it for what would probably be a couple of hours at the show. If the strike goes ahead, Sunday might be the only realistic option.

Iggy wrote:Is it too late for CCC members to apply free tickets now?

No, as per my original post above they can be requested until the beginning of January.
Regards

Mike Farley
rosconti

Postby rosconti » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 13:14

Hi, Keith and I have also booked tickets for 13th and had hoped to meet up with others on the day. I did wonder about going on Friday being the 13th, but lets hope it turns out to be lucky and we can all get there in a timely fashion!
Sarahrs

Postby Sarahrs » Sat 17 Dec 2016, 20:49

The other option transport wise is: Tram to Wimbledon, then district line tube to Edgeware Road.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 18:26

Good news, after a fashion. ASLEF has rescheduled its strike dates so that it is only on Friday, 13 January that there will be no trains. That is the date I would have preferred, but I will probably now go on 14 January.

Incidentally, registration for free tickets to the trade show closes in a couple of days on 6 January. After that, they will cost £10.
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri 06 Jan 2017, 23:02

48-hour extension on free Trade Show tickets for
The Societies' 2017 Convention

This offer will save you £10 on the entry fee, and all you need to do is use promo code CameraWorld17 at the checkout.
The offer is available until midnight on 8 January 2017.

https://swpp.co.uk/secure/convention.htm

Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 14 Jan 2017, 16:31

I have just got back from the trade show. There were fewer exhibitors than in previous years and space was given over to displaying photographs where formerly there would have been stands. Most of the major manufacturers who usually attend turned up, although one notable absentee was Epson which has always been there previously.

From my perspective the show was useful as I got to look at at the latest Fuji cameras which might be on my shopping list once prices drop a bit. Unfortiunately, I discovered that what I really want is the X-T2 functionaility in the X-Pro2 body as I prefer the form factor. I also got my hands on the new Hasselblad X1D. In some ways it took me back to my first DSLR, a Canon 300D. The similarity? Both cameras take 2-3 seconds to turn on. That was not really OK in 2004, let alone 2017. Still, I suppose most users of the Hasselblad will not be using it in situations where quick reactions are necessary. Another interesting camera was the new Olympus E-M1 Mk II, which certainly impresses. One quirk remains, which seems consistent across the Olympus range. Despite being just about the most configurable camera on the market, it is not possible to reverse the direction of the rear control dial when it is set to adjust exposure compensation.

I also had a strange conversation with Sigma, where their representative was unaware of some the company's recent announcements. He expressed surprise when I asked about the latest SD cameras now having the capability to write Raw files in the DNG format as well as the native Sigma X3F one. Apparently that is still supposed to be a secret despite a Sigma press release last month. It leads on to a more technical question as to how it allows Raw files from the cameras to be compatible with Lightroom and Photoshop, which is not the case currently. Matey could not tell me. Not because he did not know. Oh, dear me no, it is proprietary information. Allegedly. DNG is an open standard.

Nul pointes, Sigma.

I bumped briefly into Glyn Dewis, who I know of old and is presenting at the show. We had a brief chat about buying gear, or rather not buying it. We agreed that there is a vast difference between want and need, the solution being to keep one's wallet firmly closed. Glyn is another pro who is considering a change after becoming fed up with the weight and bulk of DSLR gear. In his case, though, he seems to be eyeing some of the new wallet busting medium format cameras.

Overall, it was an enjoyable outing even if there was not quite so much there on this occasion. And, for once, I came away without having bought anything. Success! :D
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Outings & Events”