Crucifixion enactment in Croydon

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Iggy

Crucifixion enactment in Croydon

Postby Iggy » Sat 26 Mar 2016, 16:17

Hello Tom,
Thanks for advising us about Crucifixion enactment in Croydon yesterday.
It was such a lovely sunny day that I decided to go out and I am so glad that I did.
I stayed there for the whole event and many a time I was on my hands and knees but sometimes up on the benches getting the shots that I wanted. So it was pretty hard work with lots of running round that tested my fitness.
I am generally happy with some 10% of the shots that are suitable for newspapers.
To get to CCC standard on a few images will need a lot of cropping and editing to get away from the judges' favourite comment of the image is too busy.
Being my usual self, I did chat to a few people that included the bishops and even "Jesus" just before the Crucifixion, in the back area. Also spoke with Toni Suffolk (organiser), Bill Y, Mike F, Nina L & Caje M but didn't see Peter A who was also there.
Attached are a couple of images, one to make you LOL!
Iggy
Attachments
1Bx-Two Professionals taking a break P1150167.jpg
I am still working!!
1Bx-Two Professionals taking a break P1150167.jpg (70.46 KiB) Viewed 3198 times
1Ax-Jesus Falls P1150053.jpg
1Ax-Jesus Falls P1150053.jpg (147.6 KiB) Viewed 3198 times
toms

Re: Crucifixion enactment in Croydon

Postby toms » Sun 27 Mar 2016, 10:48

Hi Iggy,

Thank you for posting the pictures and by the look of your list it was a good turnout by the club. I hope everyone who went got something useful from it and I look forward to seeing more images in due course.

At least I know the group email worked to good effect. :)

Regards,

Tom
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Tue 29 Mar 2016, 15:18

I was hoping that some one else might take up Tom's suggestion and post some more images, but it hasn't happened.
So here are a couple more images from that morning.
First image not cropped or Photoshopped.
Very quick photoshop on second image to darken white hair of man on the right, so that it is not glaring using the techniques learnt during the last CCC meeting. I need to do it better. Cropping on left and right sides of image only.
And no, I could't get the two offending men to move out of the image so that I could just have Mary & Jesus :lol:
I moved as much as possible to the right to get Mary's face in. Took a dozen images here with various zoom, which I have yet to check.
How would this fare in a CCC competition after building in some blue over the brown boot so that it becomes part of the man on the left, although further cropping would be easier for me?

Comments would be most welcome. Paul? Graham L? Everyone?

Iggy
Attachments
1A3 web-Choir P1140965.jpg
1A3 web-Choir P1140965.jpg (99.48 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
1A2 web - Jesus Falls comforted by Mary Magdalene  P1150076.jpg
1A2 web - Jesus Falls comforted by Mary Magdalene P1150076.jpg (50.16 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
Bill Yates

Postby Bill Yates » Tue 29 Mar 2016, 18:07

I suggest you try a close crop like this - no need to change the colour of the man's shoes and concentrates on what I assume (from what you have written) you really want to convey.
Regards,
Bill
Attachments
Good Friday-edited.jpg
Good Friday-edited.jpg (123.13 KiB) Viewed 3164 times
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Tue 29 Mar 2016, 23:26

Hi Bill,
Thank you for the suggestion.
Severe cropping is obviously one way to go with this image, which I did have a look at before putting that image out.
I personally prefer the more expansive image that shows more of the body language which I feel adds to the whole atmosphere.
In the cropped image, the hands suddenly take on a life of their own.
I must take a look at the rest of my images of that scene and see how they crop down.
It was good to see you on Saturday and have several chats between scenes.
See you tomorrow.
Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 30 Mar 2016, 09:14

Iggy wrote:I personally prefer the more expansive image that shows more of the body language which I feel adds to the whole atmosphere.
In the cropped image, the hands suddenly take on a life of their own.

I am with Iggy on the otherwise unexplained appearance of the hands, especially the one on the left. I do not know if the shot is already a crop, but it would be better if the viewpoint were raised so that the top of the man's head on the left is not chopped off. That would both reduce part of the lighter areas at the bottom and make the overall composition stronger. Of course, that might introduce other unwanted elements, but that is just one of the challenges such unposed photography brings. If it were mine, I would be busy darkening areas down and cloning things out to remove the many distractions which are present in what is potentially a powerful image.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Wed 30 Mar 2016, 11:11

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I think you probably got to the Crucifixion enactment too late to shoot these scenes.
The scenes where Jesus falls were predetermined "poses" and held for a minute giving photographers a chance to fight for the best positions, as per the protruding Canon 70-200mm lens in the first image. Then there was the sun to contend with especially on the walk back carrying Jesus' body when one had to shoot towards the sun.
Here are three other unprocessed images of the same scene that look better for manipulation, just before the sun came out and cast a strong shadow on Jesus' face.
Large AIO computer with Epson 550 scanner now installed in my home office: just need to get more familiar with PhotoShop 6 now!
Still working on this on my old lap top downstairs
Iggy
Attachments
1A web2 -Jesus Falls + Mary Magadlene  P1150075.jpg
1A web2 -Jesus Falls + Mary Magadlene P1150075.jpg (143.13 KiB) Viewed 3143 times
1A web2 -Jesus Falls + Mary Magadlene  P1150079.jpg
1A web2 -Jesus Falls + Mary Magadlene P1150079.jpg (152.33 KiB) Viewed 3143 times
1A web2-Jesus Falls + Mary Magadlene  P1150080.jpg
1A web2-Jesus Falls + Mary Magadlene P1150080.jpg (134.2 KiB) Viewed 3143 times
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 30 Mar 2016, 12:48

Iggy wrote:Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I think you probably got to the Crucifixion enactment too late to shoot these scenes.

Hi Iggy

I am happy to comment and help a fellow member. You are right, I was late to the scene and, by the time I saw it, I knew it was unlikely to result in a good shot.

Looking at your other images, the last one does look like the strongest as you have caught the interaction between the actor playing Christ and the man on the right, which forms a strong diagonal. The eye follows the line down to the Christ figure which is reflected back by his gaze. Unfortunately it has the issues I have already noted, for me at least. Photoshop might help you resolve the compositional problems, but it would involve a lot of effort and ultimately might not prove fruitful.

A wasted opportunity? Yes and no. This type of work not easy and knowing what has not gone well on one occasion can inform as to what to do the next time something similar presents itself. It is all part of the learning experience.

Iggy wrote:just need to get more familiar with PhotoShop 6 now!

I hope you mean CS6. PS6 is very long in the tooth and does not have all the functionality which came in later releases.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Wed 30 Mar 2016, 18:23

Just for the sake of completeness of the event, here are a final two images
Iggy
Attachments
1A web2-Lots of Children watching P1150162.jpg
1A web2-Lots of Children watching P1150162.jpg (159.48 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
1A web2-Jesus being carried P1150345.jpg
1A web2-Jesus being carried P1150345.jpg (117.57 KiB) Viewed 3134 times

Return to “Outings & Events”