Jurassic Coast Trip...

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
keithash

Jurassic Coast Trip...

Postby keithash » Sat 27 Feb 2016, 14:55

Over the past couple of years the club has organised trips to the Beacon Beacons and Peak District. These trips have been really enjoyable and give you the opportunity to meet club members as well as learning new camera skills.

This year I’m organising a trip to the Jurassic Coast in Dorset for about 4-5 days towards the end of September, or October.

If you are interested in coming on this trip please register you interest by replying to this post below, so I can get an idea of numbers.

Thank you,
Keith :D
Regards,

Keith

Check out my new website - bare in mind it still under development:

https://kash-photography.herokuapp.com/
Rose

Re: Jurassic Coast Trip...

Postby Rose » Sat 27 Feb 2016, 16:56

As I will have relocated to Someset by then, a trip to the Jurassic coast will be almost local for me ! It would be a nice opportunity to catch up with people :)
Rose
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 28 Feb 2016, 13:09

Hi Keith

Thanks for organising this trip. I can make this, but would need to be back by 4 October and would not be able to make either of the two following weekends.

I doubt I would be allowed to go to Dorset on my own, so I would probably be accompanied by my wife.

Which part of Dorset are you thinking about going to? I know the county well and have a list of possible locations if you need it.

Regards

Mike
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
keithash

Postby keithash » Sun 28 Feb 2016, 13:25

Hi Mike,

Not sure at the moment which part of Dorset to stay and visit. If you have any suggestions of where to stay and go, that would be really grateful...

Thanks
Keith
Regards,

Keith

Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 28 Feb 2016, 15:01

Hi Keith

I prefer West Dorset, but there are not many large hotels in the area which would mean staying somewhere around Weymouth or possibly Dorchester. There are a couple of Premier Inns in Weymouth which get good reports on TripAdvisor if you are looking for a budget option. Lyme Regis might be a possibility, but that is virtually on the border with Devon and too far away from many locations.

The Isle of Purbeck could be a better choice. Highlights in the area include Corfe Castle, Lulworth Cove, Studland Beach, Durdle Door, Kimmeridge, Dancing Ledge, Swanage Pier, Mupe Bay, Tyneham, Man of War Bay, St Alban's Head and Old Harry Rocks to name just a few.

Dawn2Dusk Photography* run courses in the area and use the Springfield Country Hotel in Wareham. I have not stayed there so cannot vouch for it. They used to use the Purbeck House Hotel in Swanage which was OK a few years ago, if a bit tired. It might have been renovated since then.

* D2D is run by Mark Bauer and Ross Hoddinott. Mark is based in Dorset and is the man for whom satnavs were invented as he has the worst sense of direction of anyone I have met. I have literally seen him get lost in a hotel car park. :shock:
Regards

Mike Farley
keithash

Postby keithash » Sun 28 Feb 2016, 15:51

Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying to my messages.

Tom Sherrin mentioned the Premier Inn at Dorchester. I've stayed at Premier Inns on many occasions, there pretty clean and quite. This might be the good option for club members due to costs. Most places are only about 30-40 minutes drive from Dorchester which fine for me :D

Thanks
Keith
Regards,

Keith

Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 28 Feb 2016, 16:26

Hi Keith

The Premier Inn in Dorchester is centrally located in the new Brewery Square development, so there are a number of chain restaurants such as Wagamama and Carluccio's on the doorstep, with other independent restaurants a few minutes walk away in the centre of town. Dorchester is better than Weymouth for reaching most locations and makes West Dorset more accessible. Looking at the prices, some careful timing will be necessary to get the best deal as they vary quite wildly. I have only stayed in one of the hotels once, but found it was comfortable and had the essentials with the odd exception of a shaver point. Depending on numbers, we might be able to negotiate a similar rate somewhere else, especially as it will not be peak season.
Regards

Mike Farley
toms

Postby toms » Sun 28 Feb 2016, 19:30

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your post and of course I'll be there regardless of dates.

Accommodation wise, I have a contact at Premier Inn Dorchester and if we can roughly agree some dates I'll try and get us a package rate.

Good that Mike knows it and the local restaurants.

Regards,

Tom
Tina

Postby Tina » Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:06

Hi Keith
Thanks for volunteering for this trip to Dorset.
Graham and I would love to come and at the moment any time in September or October would suit us.
Looking forward to it already.
Kind regards
Tina
jeffwin99

Postby jeffwin99 » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 19:18

Hi Keith Yes me and Jane will be interested
thanks Jeff

Return to “Outings & Events”