Worldwide Photo Walk - 1 October 2016

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Mike Farley

Re: Worldwide Photo Walk - 1 October 2016

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 27 Sep 2016, 11:12

davidc wrote:How many people are interested in still going out for a walk?

I am interested.

Shame that Scott Kelby's organisation did not bother to respond. It sounds as though you put some thought and effort into arranging the walk.

It might be a bit late to get something out of the National Trust, but we can devise our own route.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Postby davidc » Tue 27 Sep 2016, 12:45

I'll ask at the club on Wednesday to see if anyone else would like to join us then we can come up with more concrete plans.
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Sarahrs

Postby Sarahrs » Tue 27 Sep 2016, 22:41

I'm interested in coming along, what's the start time and where do we meet?
davidb

Postby davidb » Wed 28 Sep 2016, 02:37

The weather for Saturday looks a little changeable; bright but cloudy with the possibility of rain.

However, count me in.
Regards

David A Beard.
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Wed 28 Sep 2016, 09:11

Hi DavidC,
I am hoping to come too, for some if not all of it, once I know the timings.
Thanks for organising.
Iggy
GrahamL

Postby GrahamL » Thu 29 Sep 2016, 06:48

Hi DavidC,

Count me in too. When & where? (A time makes it much easier to plan the rest of the day).

Looking forward to it.

Graham (L)
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu 29 Sep 2016, 10:03

Hi all
Last night's interest surprised me somewhat and initially I had thought it might just be Mike & myself going for an explore!

To begin, I suggest we meet outside East Croydon station at 10am. I'm anticipating we then explore Croydon until approximately 1pm - we can then meet for lunch and share stories/results or people can go on with their day.

Will share a suggested route and more details very soon.

Also, my mobile is here in case it's needed - Oh Seven Eight One Three 336 616
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

Postby davidc » Fri 30 Sep 2016, 21:14

Hi everyone

Sorry it's a little later than planned for getting a route map!

Here's my suggestion - https://goo.gl/maps/JAGfM597nbt - I've tried to choose a route that takes us past as many interesting places and different people as possible.

My plan is to walk down towards town from East Croydon station, heading towards Surrey Street market (always good value) then down Church street. We will then go up the back of Centrale (I hear there's a red pipe there that's worth a snapshot) up past West Croydon before heading back down the High Street.

The end point - I suggest we meet for a coffee in the Costa Coffee inside Debenhams on the High Street.

Just a couple of points/notes/suggestions.

1) This isn't a guided tour! Rather, it's a chance to spend some time out shooting with other club members and try to look at the town in a new way.
2) The route is simply the way I will be walking. You are entirely free to do any route you wish, at any pace you wish. Follow the pictures first and foremost!
3) I'm aiming to arrive at Costa by approximately 1pm. It may be a little earlier or later depending on how rich our pickings are!

Some tips -

4) Pack light, don't bring tons of kit. Even though we're local, I find street shooting is easier/better when I'm light on my feet.
5) Clear your memory cards and charge your batteries!
6) Bear in mind that most people in town won't want to be photographed so try to be subtle without furtive and if you're approached by someone be polite & courteous. Explain you're on a worldwide photowalk day, offer to delete the photo if needed. Try sharing what you shot, sometimes people don't mind it when they see the results.
7) If you find a good scene or background, spend some time waiting for an interesting person to walk into it.
8) When shooting people, it almost always works better if you can see their faces - shooting people from behind or smoking/on their phone doesn't tend to work so well. It can be unnerving but if you deliberately move in front of someone the results can be worth it!
9) Please do share your favourite images with me after the event and we'll look to put on a members evening of our favourite work :)

See you all tomorrow!
My Top 50 album is here
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Sat 01 Oct 2016, 08:31

Thanks David,
See you All at 10 am.
Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 01 Oct 2016, 15:18

Thanks to David for organising the walk this morning. It is a pity that the weather could not have been more cooperative, but that did not spoil what was an enjoyable social occasion. Admittedly David's young daughter did steal the show when we stopped for coffee. :D

Hopefully everyone was able to get some shots from the walk. I am just about to look at mine now.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “Outings & Events”